Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I had bought a HP laptop more than a year ago in US. I brought it to India and few days back the harddisk crashed.

I bought a new harddisk and installed win 8.1 to it.

I see 2 issues....

1) The OS is not taking the produc key, am working with microsoft on this.

2) I have lost the recover partition due to this hdd crash. Now even if I installed the win 8.1, how will I create a recover partition on my new HDD?

Can you please help and explain in detailas to what can be done on this?

Regards,

DK

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Please identify your notebook with its product number. Otherwise. it will be unnecessarily difficult to help you.

You can find the product number in the BIOS on the system information tab. You may also find it on the bottom of the notebook in very fine print.

Was the notebook delivered with an operating system or was it a FreeDos type?

If it was delivered with Windows 8.1, then the license key should be present in the BIOS, unless someone inadvertently cleared the keys.

Did you make a usb recovery flash drive? 

If you did, then running a factory image recovery will restore the hard disk to the state it was in when you purchased it.

The factory recovery will also install the recovery partition to the new hard disk.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Sir,

Please find the details as below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please identify your notebook with its product number. Otherwise. it will be unnecessarily difficult to help you.

You can find the product number in the BIOS on the system information tab. You may also find it on the bottom of the notebook in very fine print.

Ans: I found the produc num, and using it the notebook model, it is

Notebook is HP 15-g070nr Notebook PC

If it was delivered with Windows 8.1, then the license key should be present in the BIOS, unless someone inadvertently cleared the keys.

Ans: It had preinstalled Win 8.1 OS. I also have the product key, am working with microsoft to get that issue resolved.

If you did, then running a factory image recovery will restore the hard disk to the state it was in when you purchased it.

The factory recovery will also install the recovery partition to the new hard disk.

Ans: Unfortunately I didnt make a usb recovery flash drive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) Apart from this, I am now facing new issues, after installing win 8.1 in a brand new harddrive, the screen brightness is very high and the brightness controls are not working.

b) Earlier, before my previous hardrive broke down, my laptop was quite cool when working, watching videos etc...

but now after win 8.1, my laptop suddenly seems hot from below side, hot air comes frequently from the air vents.

If this is due to driver issues, can you please give me exact link for the correct drivers from HP which would solve this?

Thanks a lot!!!

Regards,

DK

HP Recommended

Hello,

Please find my replies in bold...

------------------------------------

Ans: My product is HP 15-g070nr Notebook PC

Ans: It has preinstalled windows 8.1 with a recovery partition

Ans: I was able to find the product key but some how its not able to activate the new win 8.1 installation. I am working with microsoft on this.

Ans: No I didn't.

----------------------------------------------

I am also facing few new issues:

a) By screen brightness is at a very high level and even when I am changing the brightness levels using button and from GUI, the brightness is still not changing.

b) Laptop is getting hotter from below, earlier before my harddisk crash, it was quite cool. This has happened after new hdd with new win 8.1 installed.

I suspect this is because of drivers, not sure which exact drivers I should install from HP site. 

Thanks!

Regards,

DK

HP Recommended

All of the required drivers for Windows 8.1are at the HP download page that can be reached at the  following link.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-g000-notebook-pc-series/6545564/model/7241977

Install the AMD graphics driver. It will install all of the chipset drivers as well.  Once you have done that, you should be able to use the special function keys on the keyboard to lower the brightness.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank ou, but which drivers I may be missing due to which laptop may be becoming hot?

Also, any way I can create a new recovery partition on USB? or on the harddrive?

So as per you, I should only install Install the AMD graphics driver? If I should install any more drivers, please let me know.

Regards,

DK

HP Recommended

@DK76 wrote:

Thank ou, but which drivers I may be missing due to which laptop may be becoming hot?

Also, any way I can create a new recovery partition on USB? or on the harddrive?

So as per you, I should only install Install the AMD graphics driver? If I should install any more drivers, please let me know.

Regards,

DK

The BIOS takes care of the fan turning on and running when the notebook temperature rises. That is the delta T algorithm that is part of the BIOS firmware. You don't need to install it.  You do need to use a can of PC compressed air to blow out any dust that may be obstructing the air intake and exhaust ports.

The AMD Graphics driver installs the AMD graphic solution's driver and the Intel graphics driver.  If you install any other driver, then the switchable graphics will not work.

To see if there are any other devices missing drivers, you should open the Device Manager. If there are no triangles next to the devices, then all  devices have drivers installed.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Thanks for the link, I checked on it, but found 2 graphic drivers listed there....

1) Driver-Graphics

2) Driver-Graphics-AMD

Upon clicking the + sign infront of them, the internal file names are same for both.

Please advice which to use.

Regards,

DK

HP Recommended

Take a closer look at the driver download page.

The selection of drivers you see may not be for Windows 8.1 unless you click on the blue Change word inside the operating system box.

You should see only one graphics driver and it should be the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driversystem software Manager Icon

This is the AMD HD Graphics driver you should install.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-15-g000-notebook-pc-series/6545564/mod...

Read through the description and you will see that it describes switchable graphics.

HP Recommended

Thanks!

I contacted microsoft and they told me that my product key was not getting validated as the win 8.1 OS I had downloaded was a retail version and my product key can only be used for preinstalled version, they adviced me to contact HP. I tried to call HP india customer care but its asking for passcode.

Also, can I create the recovery partition on the harddick or the USB drive?

Regards,

DK

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.