Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a dv7-6b50ea notebook, and I'm getting mildly annoyed by its crippled booting options. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a problem I'm not seeing.

Firstly, HP seem to have disabled booting from the 2nd hard drive, for reasons that are beyond me. While irritating, most users can overcome this by using EasyBCD. For me, this isn't an option as I need to boot to a loader in the MBR. 

Also, the system doesn't seem to boot from USB either, which is a first for me. Whether it's a Linux installation disk, a Linux installation, a Windows installation USB stick, nothing. Nothing will boot from USB. It appears just fine in the list of devices I can use for booting, but it always fails to boot.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is the DV7 crippled by design?

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi,

When booting up and tapping on the Esc key to enter the startup menu and then selecting F9 did you change the boot order to enable a DVD or USB flashdrive to boot first?  That is a requisite. 

Take a look in the BIOS in the security settings tab for Secure Boot. Disable it. Some recent notebooks have this option enabled by default.

Best regards,

erico 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I had tried all kinds of things with the boot order, but I haven't looked into this "secure boot" functionality. I will look into that this evening and mark as solved if it helps. Thanks for the lightning response!

HP Recommended
Although, from memory - isn't "Secure Boot" a UEFI thing? Not sure my laptop supports UEFI.
HP Recommended

Your notebook does support UEFI.

I suggest downloading the latest UEFI update for your operating system so you can take advantage of the component level hardware diagnostics available in version 5.1 such as the usb port and optical driive test.

Being unable to boot from USB or the optical drive is quite unusual.

In the BIOS setup in System Configuration tab  -->boot options is CD-ROM Boot Enabled or disabled?

-erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

OK, I will have a look at the UEFI update if I can't progress without it.

Just to confirm, I can boot fine to CD/DVD, just not to any kind of external USB drives.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

No.

Whoa!

Don't update the BIOS without doing an extensive hardware component test.

You can still update the BIOS later if everything tested passes.

-erico

HP Recommended

OK, brakes applied 🙂

Can you point me at the UEFI update?

HP Recommended

@TimH9 wrote:

OK, brakes applied 🙂

Can you point me at the UEFI update?

That is good to hear  🙂

Pointing as requested.

Here is a direct link to the UEFI update on the web support portal for your notebook.

-erico

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.