Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP:
I have an HP EliteBook 8570w, which I must say is the most awesome mobile workstation EVER. If only I could solve one problem...

The touchpad BUTTONS - specifically the ones above the touchpad -  how can I disable them? I have large hands and find myself accidentaly hitting the buttons, resulting in losing entire paragraphs of text or launching programs I didn't intend to launch. HELP!

Sincerly,

Robert Sytek

Nationwide Inusrance

Columbus, Ohio

P.S. this thread has been moved from Workstations - z series, xw series, and legacy x and w series to Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE - Hp Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Using the Synaptics driver, either through Synaptic's own utility or through the Mouse control panel, you should be able to disable the PointStick and the two buttons associated to it (the ones above the touchpad below the keyboard).

If you don't have the Synaptics driver installed, you can download the appropriate version for your running OS at the Drivers & Software page for your model notebook, located here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5257504...

Please let me know if this helps!
HP Recommended

I also had that problem and I saw a previous request like yours and disabled mine.  The first link has a nice picture.

/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-EliteBook/HP-EliteBook-8570p/m-p/5926499

/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-EliteBook/How-to-disable-second-set-of-left-right-mouse-keys-above/m-p/55614...

HP Recommended

I have large hands and the right lower touchpad button  moves text all over (and sometimes deletes it).  

When I got the computer, a techhnican friend (who worked at my previous job, unfortunalety) helped me deactivate the right lower button, but it just started responding again - driving me bonkers.  There's not option in the synaptic driver I have to deal with indivual buttons and nothing in the  manual or online I've found that works.  Help!

PS - I had to type this three times because of this frustrating problem - what a whacked design!!

HP Recommended

The buttons on the elitebook range can be removed quite easily and underneath the button is the diaphram that acts as a spring and contact maker lift them out and store. click the buttons back in place.

HP Recommended

install Synaptics TouchPad Driver

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64284.exe

reboot

control panel
mouse

QQ截图20150526192248.jpg

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆
my english is broken
the meaning may not be accurate
◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.