Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

My trusty Elitebook 8540w is showing its age. After a full charge the battery now lasts about 45 mins if I'm lucky, but also if I plug in the power supply whilst the laptop is up and running it runs very slooooooowly for 10-15 mins. I've had a quick search online & all roads point to a failing battery.

The problem is I can't seem to find a genuine HP replacement battery anywhere... can anyone confirm if such a thing exists? If not, can anyone suggest a reliable alternative?

Many thanks,

Ian

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Here are the applicable part numbers:

73-Wh battery 493976-001
68-Wh battery 592078-001

eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Genuine-HP-EliteBook-8530p-8530w-8730w-8-Cell-Battery-501114-001-493976-...

HP:

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=55985AE5F2194B8B8CDD9458952D2141&Searc...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I probably should have said I'm based in the UK - Do you know where I can pick up a genuine HP part here? If not I'll just try eBay UK - there don't seem to be any OEM products for sale however.

Thanks,

Ian

HP Recommended

Hello ICFAD

You can purchase HP Parts directly from the HP Parts Store by going here.

I hope this answers your question. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hi Can the VH08XL Long Life NB Battery (QK641AA) be use on a 8540w?

HP Recommended

I have to replace the battery of my HP EliteBook 8540w. Please, could anybody explain which is the difference between the two batteries:

73-Wh battery 493976-001
68-Wh battery 592078-001

Is the capacity and life of both models the same?

HP Recommended

No the Wh is watt hours and a higher number means more capacity and longer run time.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer. But this seems to me strange. I could not find the detailed specifications of the battery AV08 493976-001, but as to the AVO8XL 592078-001, the QuickSpecs document in

<http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2Fc04123350.pdf>

includes this battery as a long life battery, with three years warranty. And one of the two resellers of HP spare parts in Spain sells this battery at 115 Euros (+ VAT), while the other one costs "only" 95 Euros.

Maybe you mean the run time (in hours and minutes) until the battery is discharged is longer in the case of the 493976-001, while the life of the battery (in years) is longer in the 592078-001?

HP Recommended

You are reading too much into it. Everything else being equal more wh (watt hours) means a longer run time. That is kind of a no-brainer as watt hours is like acre feet measuring how deep a lake is. If it is 73 watt hours it will put out 7.3 watts for 10 hours or the equivalent. If it is 68 watt hours it will put out 6.8 watts for 10 hours or the equvalent. I have no way to know which battery would last longer in terms of years of use.

HP Recommended

More apropos to your question, a 73 Wh battery will put out 5W for 14.6 hours, a 68 Wh battery will put out 5W for 13.6 hours

Remember that battery life (per charge) also depends greatly on your screen brightness, how hard your processor is working, disk access (an SSD will help reduce this), and many other factors.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.