Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am pretty sure my hard drive has gone bad from other posts I have been reading. 

I dont need any data off of this device.  I actually was just about to start deleting old data so I could give this device to a family in need.  Went to start the computer to start this process.  However, when I went to do this it went to BSOD.  Messed with it a little bit, then I got BSOD.  I fillany figure out to run test and got the #10008 replace hard disk 1 error. 

As I would still like to give this family this laptop, my question is:  Where could I buy a cheap replacement hard drive.  Is it hard to do? And I dont think I have a back up/ install disk to but on operating system.  What would I need to do to get that going and would it be affordable. 

I am totally willing to put in the work to get it back up and going, but was woundering if anyone would be willing to give me some instruction on how to do this.

Thanks a million for any advice and help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Regarding reinstalling the OS on  the new HDD, here are two options.

1.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - these will reinstall the operating system, all required drivers and nearly all of the original software ( the exception often being trials of MS Office ).  They will also re-create all the original partitions, including the Recovery Partition.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

2.  Another option you could consider is to create your own Windows 7 installation disc.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn ( Note: You may want to de-select the additional software offerings during the installation of ImgBurn ) to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  The Windows Image source is Digital River.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

O yeah, forgot to give PC info.

It is a HP G60

Product number:  vy79ua#aba

Model: G60 - 549DX

HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 51 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I was wondering if you new what I could do about the operating system.  I had windows 7.  Can I get a copy from HP for the model I have or do I need to buy that also?

HP Recommended

.... or is there a way I can recover it from the HD i have now?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Regarding reinstalling the OS on  the new HDD, here are two options.

1.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - these will reinstall the operating system, all required drivers and nearly all of the original software ( the exception often being trials of MS Office ).  They will also re-create all the original partitions, including the Recovery Partition.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

2.  Another option you could consider is to create your own Windows 7 installation disc.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn ( Note: You may want to de-select the additional software offerings during the installation of ImgBurn ) to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  The Windows Image source is Digital River.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.