Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I like to factory reset my hp compaq 6730b laptop i do not have the recovery disc. i tried the restore point but only brings me to june of this year but i like to factory reset this laptop if anyone is able to walk me thrue it  i appreciate the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can use the one recovery DVD on all 3.

You may be able to run W10 on them.

After you install all of the W7 updates (SP1 and such), if your PC can run W10, you should get a W10 reservation icon to show up.

See this link for more info.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade?SEMID=1&WT.srch=1&ocid=win10-61launch_SEM_...

My HP elitebook 6930p which has basically the same hardware as yours ran W8.1 just fine.

It also ran the first 2 W10 preview builds just fine.

Then all the builds since then, the ricoh cardbus controller gives a code 12 error (not enough resources).

I have reported this bug to MS and I noticed there were other HP models affected such as the 8440p.

So, unless this bug is fixed and your machine has the same Ricoh card reader as mine, you can probably count on getting the same error.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have a restore partition on your hard drive, reboot the machine and at the HP splash screen tap the F11 key to launch the recovery mode. Follow the directions provided.  Make sure you have backed up any files you wish to keep as they will be erased with the factory restore.

If you do not have a restore partition you are out of luck until you purchase a set of recovery disks.  If you live in the USA or Canada, here's how to do that.  Cost is $10.00.

1. Write down the part number and serial # on bottom of of the computer on the white tag. The model # is an HP-Compaq 6730b, but the part number will be found on that white tag below the serial #.

2. Call HP at 1-800-952-7689, option 1 (ordering restore disks is part of the list in the option). They won't be open until Monday morning.

3. Provide the info asked by the rep that answers the phone. Some just ask for the serial #, some want both, or they will just want the serial number and type of computer (6730b).

4. Have a Master Card or Visa ready for purchasing. They don't take Discover. You will be charged $10.00.

You will receive the disks by First Class Mail or you can pay an additional $10.00 for FedEx shipping.

Paul

HP Recommended

I'm getting ready to order a replacement DVD for Windows 7, which I will need to reinstall because I have a new hard drive.  I'm realizing that I cannot read the WIndows product key from the bottom of my computer; it has worn off.  What can I do?

HP Recommended

Hi:

You won't need the product key if you are ordering the recovery disk set from HP.

The software is pre-activated and doesn't ask for a product key or activation if installed in a qualifying HP PC.

The phone number has changed from the above to:  1-800-334-5144.

HP Recommended

Wow, thanks for the fast response.  Lastly, two questions:

1. I have three idential 6730b notebooks, with three equally illegible product keys.  Do I need to order three DVDs?
  2. Will I be able to further upgrade these to Windows 8 or 10?  (The computers are already running Windows 8.1 Enterprise trial edition with no problems at all).
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can use the one recovery DVD on all 3.

You may be able to run W10 on them.

After you install all of the W7 updates (SP1 and such), if your PC can run W10, you should get a W10 reservation icon to show up.

See this link for more info.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade?SEMID=1&WT.srch=1&ocid=win10-61launch_SEM_...

My HP elitebook 6930p which has basically the same hardware as yours ran W8.1 just fine.

It also ran the first 2 W10 preview builds just fine.

Then all the builds since then, the ricoh cardbus controller gives a code 12 error (not enough resources).

I have reported this bug to MS and I noticed there were other HP models affected such as the 8440p.

So, unless this bug is fixed and your machine has the same Ricoh card reader as mine, you can probably count on getting the same error.

HP Recommended

Perfect.  Thanks for all the very useful help!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.