Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

At some point in my owning this product (in the last 4-5 months), I had received a low disk space warning, so I started to uninstall programs that I thought I didn't need. I may have removed something that was necessary for another program to use, but I don't know what that might have been. All the programs I was removing were pre-installed on my notebook.

Is there a way to factory reset my notebook to its original settings before I started uninstalling like crazy? or to see what I might have uninstalled so I can re-install? 

And even after I removed programs I still get the "Low Disk Space" warning, despite backing up all my personal files to my SD card and cleaning out the "Downloads" folder -- since everything seems to go there, which makes me think this computer NEVER had space to begin with. 😞

HELP pLEASE!

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I believe you hold the Esc key down while powering up to enter the UEFI setup and then press the F11 key to restore from the recovery partition.

HP Recommended

Will try this solution and get back to you. Thanks for the quick reply!

HP Recommended

Holding the ESC key down at startup didn't do anything special for my notebook, the computer started up as usual. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

I've had the exact same problem.  Defrag and disk clean up actually ended up using MORE space instead of clearing it.  Warning everyone away from this laptop.   Here's a link for a hard re set

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

HP Recommended

The HP Stream 11 is  an entry level notebook and it is extremely limited in storage capacity.

Purchase the largest compatible SD card that you can afford in order to extend your storage capacity. With that in mind, I have listed a link to methods of how to save your on-device (C:\) storage capacity. 

In browsers make sure that you set your browser's default user download folder to a folder in your SD card.

For Internet Explorer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-files#ie=ie-11

For Firefox

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/startup-home-page-tabs-download-settings

For Google Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95759?rd=1

The following method is perhaps the most important.   Program files can take up quite some storage capacity.

You can change the default program directory to a folder in your SD card as well. See the following image. It will involve a registry edit, so be very careful. Create an x:\ProgramFiles directory on your SD card, where x is the letter of your SD card. Changes take place immediately. 

I hope this helps HP Stream notebook owners.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thank you. Really appreciate your time and response, I will make these adjustments.
HP Recommended

Well, the 'hard reset' for my now dead hp stream 11 didn't work.  I have a costly paperweight that's just 5 months old and used for two weeks.

to summarize:  The day I turned it on the memory was at the red zone.  I started deleting trash files of temporary/trial programs I'd never use, but apparently I deleted something necessary for a 're set to factory settings'  Multiple attempts to set to earlier date failed.  I can turn it on, I can even slowly, oh so slowly surf the net, but I want to pass this on to a kid (this HAS to be a toddler's computer right?) and need to make it 'new' again. 

Help! 

HP Recommended

I will ask to have your issue escalated.

Your Stream is still in warranty if it is just a few months old.

You should be contacted by someone from HP within a day or so.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

So I have exactly the same problem.  Mine is still under warranty.  I filled out a support case online, and the response was to use the online forums and they closed the ticket.

It's under warranty and I get no support?  Really??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.