Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6160se
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

A common issue i faced with my laptop since the 1str year of using it was the fan . After sending it in for replacement/fix 5 times -2 times under  warranty to hp) and 3 to laptop repair shops. i think i  the issue may not be the fan itself . At least not all the times. At first the fan was not spinning then some times it would spin normally but the real issue is that it would not increase rpm at high temperatures. not mater how many times i got it replaced it would spin at max rpm at very high temps ( 80°C+) and after a couple of motnhs it wouldnt even get close to 70% of the fans speed. Right now i am using my laptop under some kinda heavy load ( 87°C) and the fan is spining at the same speed as it is iddle. Only if it hits 94+ it will spin a tad faster but deffinately not max rpm.

Before this issue happens. the fan always makes a weird noise  like the voltage is not constant and it goes fast slow fast slow randomly sometimes. then after a while maybe a buzzing noise like the bearing got out of possition.  Checked my old fan and current one using the laptops usb port ( 5V) and the fans can spin quite fast without making any noise. however when connected to the motherboard's pin connector they spin not faster than when the laptop is iddle.

So could that actually be the sensor on the motherboard/fan ?  or bios maybe?

Could try a bypass method by removing the fan sensor cable and have the fan spin at map rpm but i dont know if it is ok to and it would also be too noisy all the time even without doing anything  heavy.

Sorry for the text wall but wanted to give as much info as possible .

thanks in advance

Ntas.

P.S. if any additional info is required ,please feel free to ask!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi@Ntas,

Thanks for choosing HP forums. One stop for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

You have the cooling fan issue since the day you owned this notebook. Is that right?

I will definitely help you.

I recommend the BIOS update and check if that controls the fan speed and CPU temperature on the PC.

Use the link below to download the latest BIOS update and install it.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55068.exe

Let me know if this helps.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Already was on the latest BIOS version. still reflashed though but nothing changed !

HP Recommended

Hi@Ntas,

Thanks for the reply.

Then I suggest you reach out phone support for any warranty support options using the link below.

http://hp.care/2bjG4nE

Hope this helps.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Laptop is not under warranty anymore.

HP Recommended

Hi@ Ntas,

Thanks for the reply.

Then you can use the below link to reach out our parts store for any part fulfilments using the link below.

http://hp.care/2bAvpq6

Feel free to reach out HP Forums for future needs.

Happy posting

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.