Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I get rid of the Alps pointing device on DM1, using W7?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you uninstall them from the device manager, they will continue to return.  Disabling them will effectively make the touchpad a decoration.  Most notebooks have a touch sensitive button in the top-left corner of the touchpad.  If you doubltap this button, the touchpad should become disabled. 

Some notebooks provide the disable option in the mouse properties.

1.  Go to Start, search for mouse, and open Mouse under Control Panel.

2.  Select the Device Settings tab.

3.  The touchpad should be listed.  Highlight it and there should be a Disable button just below the text window.  Clicking the disable button should disable the touchpad. 

If I have the product number, I may be able to check if it has the disable option in the corner of the touchpad and provide more specific steps.  There are several models with the DM1 series. 

Let me know what happens. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I understand you wish to remove the Alps pointing device on your notebook.

What is the product number of the notebook?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

This is going to be the touchpad of the notebook.  Are you wanting to remove it permanently in the sense that it can't be used, temporarily disable it, or just remove the Driver from Programs and Features to get a basic touchpad without any gestures or options. 

If you want to remove its functionality completely, the easiest fix would be to disable it in the device manager.

1.  Go to start, search for device manager, open the result.

2.  Expand the Mice and other pointing devices. 

3.  Right-click the Alps device and select disable. 

This should disable the touchpad so that it is no longer functioning until it is enabled in the device manager.  If it is simply uninstalled, Windows will find it again the next time it reboots.

Let me know if this answered your question.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

My computer in question is a HP Netbook, dm1.  It appears there is a vicious cycle.  I am able to remove the Alps Pointer, then I reboot and Synaptics Pointing Device.  After I delete Synaptics, a PS/2 Compatible Mouse loads itself.  I do not want to use any of these pointers as it makes it very difficult to use the keyboard.  I would like to use a Logitech Infrared mouse and the keyboard only.  Thus, I am trying to get rid of all of these pointer devices.  Any help would be deeply appreciated.

HP Recommended

If you uninstall them from the device manager, they will continue to return.  Disabling them will effectively make the touchpad a decoration.  Most notebooks have a touch sensitive button in the top-left corner of the touchpad.  If you doubltap this button, the touchpad should become disabled. 

Some notebooks provide the disable option in the mouse properties.

1.  Go to Start, search for mouse, and open Mouse under Control Panel.

2.  Select the Device Settings tab.

3.  The touchpad should be listed.  Highlight it and there should be a Disable button just below the text window.  Clicking the disable button should disable the touchpad. 

If I have the product number, I may be able to check if it has the disable option in the corner of the touchpad and provide more specific steps.  There are several models with the DM1 series. 

Let me know what happens. 

Signature
HP Recommended

I have uninstalled, disabled and removed software.  I'm not sure what took care of it, but right now it is decoration.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  Thanks for all the help.

HP Recommended

You are most welcome. 

I'm glad it is now taken care of for you.  🙂

Thanks for updating the community. 

Signature
HP Recommended

I have a HPStream that I just bought. I am trying to disable, uninstall the mouse pad.......I have disabled and uninstalled it many times but it is still there. I use a wireless mouse and do not want the touch pad at all.  How do I get rid of this?

I have also tried to disable the password login when the computer wakes up........but it still is there and i have to enter the password each time.   I like the laptop but this is frustrating.....I  do not want to send this back.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.