Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-7024tx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I had been trying to download some drivers for my laptop from your support section but I found all those downloads are enormously slow. I get below 0.5Mbps in each download where my connection speed is upto 3Mbps. I have submitted complaint about this to my isp but they're telling about your server "slow down". I think you'll fix this very soon. Thanks. 

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61617.exe

That ftp server taking huge time in download content.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

w20grippy

It's definitely NOT an HP server problem, as I just tried that link and downloaded the entire file in about 10 seconds!

The slowdown is, unfortunately, on YOUR end -- regardless of what your ISP is telling you.

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@w20grippy

@WAWood is correct:  The issue is "not HP", at least to the extent that we can verify from our own locations on the planet.

You might try one or more of the following to see if you can "kick" your side:

• Try a different browser -- this can make a difference. 

• Try restarting everything, including your router.  Leave the router "off" for a couple of minutes before you reboot it.  Let the router completely boot up before booting other devices.

• Perform a Hard Reset / Forced Reset on your notebook to force the system to read software and drivers from the Operating System on the computer at next boot.

• If all else fails, ask a friend (not on your personal network) to download what you need and transfer the download(s) to a USB Drive -- use the USB drive on your computer to copy and then install the files.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It is seemingly that my isp is denying the issue with them. However, I will discuss with them about that further.

HP Recommended

While it's unlikely, it could also be that your PC is actively "throttling" you -- reducing the bandwith available for downloading.

I discovered my ISP doing that to me when my download speed suddenly dropped to 1/10th of what I was accustomed to seeing.  They claimed my router must have failed so they shipped me a replacement -- which arrived two days later.  Funny thing was, though, the next day (BEFORE the new router arrived), my download speed was back up to normal.

I did an Internet search on my problem and found reports from others who had become victim of the same problem!

So, if they ARE throttling you, they will most certainly deny it!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I never heard before of "own pc throttling", however, I still don't know what was the fact behind slowing down when I tried to download all those driver from your site. But I decively believe that my isp could have such quality dropping issue which was making me confused about Hp server. Although It took some delays to download them but I made all them installed in pc. Thanks to all.

HP Recommended

I'm in Australia, and no matter the time of day, downloading from HP's FTP using the SDM is woeful. I have a 100mbit FTTN connection and during off peak would normally download at 11MegaBYTES per second from steam, microsoft or nVidia servers. When I saw the download was 6Gigabytes, I assumed it should be finished in perhaps less than 5 minutes. Instead, I've got the streams set to 5 (maximum) and still only achieving 2.0-3.0 Megabits (200-300Kb/s). 

This is surely due to a slow FTP server, however I have not been able to find any alternate servers to link SDM to, for a faster update service. I am 100% sure my service is not being throttled, currently it's still downloading at only 2.1Mbits/s

HP Recommended

I have a similar setup to poster ChrisM - also in Australia. Downloads through the HP Support Assistant are painfully slow.

HP Recommended

I am in Germany and the download of drivers is extremely slow.  It is less than 30 KBit! Unacceptable. Everything else ist superfast.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.