Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

As a part of RAM upgrade (from 4GB to 8GB) on my HP Elitebook 8560W, I have made several tests to find out what type of RAM my PC has. I was surprised that my RAM (Samsung, PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMM) is running only on 666 MHz = 6.67*99.8 MHz (timing 9 - 9 - 9 - 24, voltage 1.50 V).

However, factory RAM frequency supposed to be 1 333 MHz. How can I set correct RAM timing values of 1 333 MHz?

Additional info: My BIOS is updated: 68SVD Ver. F.42; 07/15/2013 Motherboard: HP 1631 & Chipset: Intel QM67 (Cougar Point) (B3)

If you need additional info, dont hesitate to ask me.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since your ram stick is a Double Data Rate (DDR3) like any other ram sticks of today, its true frequency will always show 2 times less.  What you are seeing is correct.   In the past, SDRam was transferring 1 data at each clock, with DDR ram, 2 data are transfered at each clock (hz), so performance is doubled = equivalent to double the frequency.  Dual channel will accelerate ram transfer by using the two sticks at the same time but you will always see 666mhz in cpu-z.

Having build many gaming computers, when I set the frequency in the bios at the correct one, it always show 2x less, do not worry !!  :Wink: PS.  I have 1600mhz DDR3 sticks and CPU-z show 801.3 mhz. 

ALSO, if you are upgrading your ram, for them to work in dual channel, be sure to buy a stick of the same size (4GB), frequency (1333mhz), timing (9 - 9 - 9 - 24) and voltage (1.50 V).  Those should be easy to find.  It's always best to buy in matched kit of two since they are tested to be operating exactly the same, as there may be manufacturing difference between brands and models, but it should not matter much if those 4 parameters are the same.  If you buy a lower frequency stick, the other will adjust to the slower one.  If possible, buy one of the same brand to be absolubly sure they match ( Samsung M471B5273DH0-CH9)

The BIOS *could* be reflashed to a non hp one compatible with your motherboard but there are many high risks in doing so, up to a unusuable computer (motherboard would need to be taken off and would need a new BIOS chip, reprogrammed chip probably soldered  or a new motherboard).  This is what tells the computer parts how to operate with each other.  Also your computer will be out of warranty.  You do not need it either since your ram works as intended.

Lots of information here :  http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-To-Know-About-DDR-DDR2-and-DDR3-Memories/...

And here:  http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Dual-Triple-and-Quad-Ch...

cpuz.pngcpuz2.png

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

Does it run dual channel ? 666 x 2 (dual) = 1332 very, very, very close to 1333.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, no.

In channel mode/channel number is says: "Single-Channel"/"Single"

Can I run it as dual? If yes, how?

Tahnk you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

How many sticks of RAM do you have ? Please read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the link that extended my PC knowledge. 🙂

Unfortunately, I have 4GB in one slot only.

HP Recommended

A business model notebook does not have a BIOS that allows adjustment of memory primary and secondary timings. So the answer to your question is no.

The BIOS ROM file is coded that way to ensure reliability of the product. That also has the benefit of protecting the owners from themselves. If you want a notebook with a BIOS of the type that desktop PCs have then you should purchase an  Extreme gaming notebook. You will have to do some research to find one that allows memory timing modification.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I think here is slight misunderstanding. I am not looking for overclocking the hardware. I am just trying to make the RAM (component) run according its original (build) specifications. If component is not running that wat, why such component was selected by the HP in first place? They could save money on lower spec component (and make laptop cheaper) as well as prevent misleading final consumers.

HP Recommended

You cannot make the RAM run differently on your notebook.

The BIOS reads the SPD (serial presence detect) information from the memory module and then uses that to set the memory timings.

You can use CPU-Z to see what the SPD values for memory timing are on the modules installed in your notebook. The following information is what CPU-z  sees in regard to the memory installed in my HP product loan Spectre 13 Touchsmart Ultrabook. In my product loan the memory modules are not seen as SPD values because the memory is integrated onto the system board. With your notebook the SPD information will be present.

memory.PNG

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Please see details of my PC. So can I change at least SPD settings?

1.PNG

1.PNG

3.PNG

HP Recommended

No. You cannot change the settings. That ability is not present in the BIOS options of prebuilt notebooks or almost all prebuilt desktop PCs.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.