Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 M9X67AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I hope this will help all the other user out there struggling to get their M.2 ssd to work with their HP Envy 17 laptops.

I will give a step by step instructions on how to install and how allow the bios to recognize the m.2 ssd in slot 0, and how to install or run windows 10 off your m.2 ssd.

1. Download the latest updates from HP Envy from HP - I used Internet Download manager to download all the updates as of June 15, 2016. (Bios, drivers, software)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

2. Install your M.2 ssd

20160616_204831.jpg

20160616_204946.jpg

20160616_205523.jpg

Boot into Windows -

Right click on My Computer on your desktop and select Disk Management, and  Format Disk 0

If you want to do a clean install and you did not update your HP ENVY with the latest software and drivers this is the screen you will see when you try to intall Windows 10 on your m.2 ssd. The bios will not see the m.2 and will not allow you to select it in BOOT options.

20160617_130549.jpg

Instead of doing a clean install, I highly recommend using the Samsung migrations software, it will clone your DISK 1 (2tb hard drive) to Disk 0 (m.2 ssd). After successfully migrating your Drive C to your M.2, when you reboot your m.2 ssd should kick in.

Right click on My Computer on your desktop and select Disk Management, you will notice now that Drive 1 is offline, it will conflict with your m.2 ssd drive, don't worry, you can right click on disk one and select go online, you can then start to delete main partition, I have not yet figured out how to remove the recovery and EFI system and Recovery partition (if anyone has a clue please comment below. Delete and format the main partition.

Untitled-1.jpg

You can now change around the drive letters as you wish.

So basically in order to get your m.2 to work, and for you to be able to install windows 10 or clone your 1 or 2 tb drive, you simply just need to update to June 15, 2016 BIOS, Drives and Software all of them!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Your model apparently is the n100 which several other users have been successful in upgrading however the n109dx has the port disabled through the BIOS. Thanks for sharing though, almost got excited until I saw your model number.
HP Recommended
Have you upgrade to the June 15 drivers and software for you laptop series? And if you did you still can't get your m.2 to work? I purchased my laptop just a few weeks ago.
HP Recommended

Invalidlink,

The real point here is that HP decided not to give that(functioning M.2 drive bay) capablity to the budget laptop they built for Best Buy (n109dx). Asus built a RoG for Best Buy and it does allow all upgrade options of the top of the line models. HP however has been mum on all the questions asked of them directly about reworking the bios for the aforementioned machine. FYI HP your machine doesn't play the latest games fluently as the GT 940 is at least 2 steps off the lowest grade gaming GPU. I would suggest you(HP) stop telling prospective buyers otherwise. Kudos to the M2 deployment Invalid

Respectfully  

Cloud_1

HP Recommended
Doesn't matter the date of the update release, it's the version number you have to check, n109dx has been on BIOS F.35 A since March. As Cloud said, Best Buy versions and other budget variants don't have the capability enabled.
HP Recommended

I initially could not get my bios to recocgnize my m.2 ssd card even after upgrade to the latest bios dated June 15 for my unit. It wasn't until I updated the rest of the drivers and software updates on the hp site; and clone my Disk 1 to Disk 0 using the Samsung Migration software then the bios recognized the Samsung EVO M.2 ssd card.

I was about to buy a 2.5 inch ssd before I realized that the M.2 kicked in and windows 10 was booting up from it.

I just wanted to share my experience with other users. 

20160619_091601.jpg

HP Recommended

in reply to your question, I am usually pretty good about updating everything from the drivers and software sections to the latest version. Actually it's how I even got my model to function because there was an issue with the screen not coming on despite the laptop being on that required a BIOS update. The version I upped to was F.35 that came out in March and is the current one as of June in addition to all the other software so that there wouldn't be any other funky issues. I tried your method as it's very similar to someone else's post along with other methods, sadly the drive wouldn't even show up in drive management after numerous refreshes for me to even get to the migration stage.  eventually I gave up and got a 256 gig 850 pro for free and haven't looked back since there's little to compare between that and the 850 Evo M.2

HP Recommended

Very sorry the method didn't work for your laptop version. I am also thinking of replacing one of the 2TB SATA III hard drive (5400rpm) with a SSD drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.