Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So, I just bought the HP Envy laptop(750GB hd, 8GB memory) with Beats Audio for music production and I was pretty dissapointed with an audio problem I got with the laptop. I would definitely need a dry audio signal not being affected by anything for music production, but the audio signal is being compressed.

For example, if I were listening to a song and it suddenly got to a louder part in the song, the volume would suddenly decrease. It also appears as if quieter bits are being increased, but more gradually. This is a problem for music production; a completely dry signal is important for certain steps in production. I have tried fiddling with the sound settings a little but the problem remains. Anyone have any idea how this could be fixed?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended
Could you please give me the exact model number of your notebook?

You can use the following document if you need assistance in finding it.

http://goo.gl/GDeRb
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I'm also having the same issue. I have an Envy M4 1015-dx. 

the sound is extremely compressed and will waver up and down constantly. I don't notice it much through the onboard speakers, but through the headphone port it's awful. 

HP Recommended

@firegoat73 wrote:

I'm also having the same issue. I have an Envy M4 1015-dx. 

the sound is extremely compressed and will waver up and down constantly. I don't notice it much through the onboard speakers, but through the headphone port it's awful. 

Hello firegoat73.  

Many users have success fixing this issue by uninstalling the driver and allowing Windows to reinstall it.  Try the following steps for me and let me know if it resolves your issue.

1. Click Start, type "Device Manager," and press Enter.
  2. Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section.
  3. Right cilck on your soundcard and select "Uninstall."  Remove driver only if prompted.
  4. Reboot your notebook and allow Windows to reinstall the device.
  5. Verify whether the problem is resolved and post the result.

Also, if this doesn't work it may be helpful to have your product number.  This document can show you where it is located.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I performed the uninstall of the driver and reboot. it did fix the issue, but only through the headphones. now, with the basic driver installed, NOT the Beats driver, the subwoofer does not work at all and the output from the top speakers is very tinny. thin and not very loud. I can barely hear the speaker output in my quiet living room. I don't think this is acceptible from an $800 laptop. 

My model number again is, Envy M4 1015-dx

HP Recommended

Hello again firegoat73.

Here is a link to the specific driver for your sound card.  Make sure to reboot after installing the driver to ensure that it is being used.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I also have an audio compression problem in my laptop, some times it also sounds like a Gate effect. I assume it has something to do with the IDT enhancement system.

The model is: HP ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition, I have Windows 8 64 bit.

Could you please help me?

Rod

HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue with my M7-J120DX.   I have reinstalled the driver, as prescribed here, to no avail.   

Same thing here - running through a mixing console to high end recording monitors. No problems with other computers.

This ain't gonna' fly on a thousand dollar computer.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Envy-M7-J120DX-Sound-Horribly-Compressed/m-...

HP Recommended

hi there,

did anyone solev this issue? letting windows install the standard driver disables the usage of all the built-in speakers of the notebook, so it sounds crap. though the compression is gone.

the compressor is a ridiculous idea and renders the notebook unusable for most of the audio purposes. when i m on the road i wont take my 19" audio interface to produce my music.

i cant get hp support on the line to solve this either, maybe someone got hooked up with a tech support

HP Recommended

hi there,

i got: HP envy 15 notebook pc j-013sg, E8N65EA, running win8.1 with all updates.

the compressor is an absolute useless feature. we need to be able to disable it!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.