Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

i have the same probleme withe my fingerprint although it works at the begining and then it disappeares, i have an elitebook 2530P WINDOWS 8.1 CAN ANY ONE HELP

HP Recommended

Still looking at this one from the outside (having not yet installed Windows 8.1):

What happens when you try the following method to access the Fingerprinter?

===========================================================================================

Windows 8.1 Preview includes a fingerprint registration application, thereby removing the need for a hardware manufacturer to provide such an application. This application is integrated with the account settings page in PC settings. Users can access it by doing one of the following:

• Type “Fingerprint” at the Start screen
  • Navigate to PC Settings, select Accounts, and select Sign-in options

The fingerprint option will always be visible if there is a WBF-supported fingerprint reader (and its associated driver) installed on the PC. However, it is possible to prevent users from starting the registration program by disabling the use of biometrics with Group Policy.

FingerPrint_App_Windows 8_IC673117.png

Figure 1   Fingerprint registration application

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

it was correct but not any more as it shown below nothing about fingerprint

screenshot

HP Recommended

Guys I have the same issue after i did update to Windows 8.1 !!

I trid to download last update Driver for Envy-Dv6 7300 ex  Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver "sp58900.exe" file but not working !!

HP experits !  what we can do please ?! thats supper urgent !

thank you

Abdelrahman Nabil

software Developer

HP Recommended

Personally I see the fingerprint option in the sign-in options, but it's disabled.

https://db.tt/PiZfLUXG

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I tried and it didn't work on my laptop.

I actually see the Biometric Device in the Device Manager (it's recognized, has drivers, and it's also written WBF next to it).

I also can see the FINGERPRINT LOGIN option in the account panel, but it's disabled.

I deleted everything related to the fingerprint, and reinstalled all the originals from my HP Driver Page, using Win 7 and Win 8 compatibility settings, still can't get it to work.

This is getting frustrating.

HP Recommended

All,

You do apparently need a compatible fingerprint Driver installed -- I have not found anything difinitive yet on driver version -- I suspect you need at least the driver that is compatible with Windows 8.

• If you have a downloaded Validity Sensor Driver, you might try unistalling AND deleting the existing driver
  • Restart / Reboot the system and log in
  • Install your downloaded Validity driver
  • Restart / Reboot the system and log in
  • Install the latest HP SimplePass over the top of your existing version

Now, it is the last part of the sequence that I am not sure about -- Windows 8.1 apparently supports fingerprint software on its own, at least for windows login -- does that mean that one does not even need SimplePass?  That does not sound right as SimplePass stores (or at least stored) one's website logins within the software's database.  ??

You may have to enable the Biometrics for Windows 8.1 to pick up the Biometrics setting.  Interestingly, the configuration is supposed to be defaulting to enabled even if you do not configure the options -- this appears to work as indicated in Windows 8 -- Windows 8.1 may not be picking up the default due to the manner in which the native (built in) fingerprint software sees the setup.

Be sure you have created a Restore Point and make sure your backups are current BEFORE changing settings on your computer. 

Windows key + R (opens the Run command box) > type gpedit.msc > Enter >
     Under Computer Configuration > Select Administrative Templates >
          Windows Components > Biometrics

In Biometrics > consider that for a home system, you might enable the following:

1. Allow the use of biometrics
  2. Allow users to log on using biometrics

===========================================================================================

Commentary

This is still guesswork on this side -- I do not yet have Windows 8.1 installed nor do my machines support a native (built in) fingerprinter.

For anyone reading this:  I do not work for HP.  I am one of you, I am an owner and user of HP products.   I strive to maintain HPs best practices when offering support.   I am not an employee of the company and I do not have access to the code used to drive the security setup.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hey Dragon-Fur, that's one of the problems in Windows 8.1.

In the regular edition, there's no Group Policy. It is only available in Windows 8.1 Pro.

So you can't open "gpedit.msc", it just doesn't exists.

HP Recommended
Also, I do not want to logon the websites with my fingerprint, only the windows logon. So Windows 8.1 handles everything, fingerprint data, etc. without SimplePass.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.