Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Nope, there's no biometrics there.
HP Recommended

Frederich,

OK.

Update your Restore Point, if needed.

A main method to get a hold of this is to use the Group Policy editor. 

Yeah, you gotta pay extra and upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro.  Frankly, the whole thing may start working if you pay the money and upgrade.   It would make a wicked kind of sense:  "Yes, you can all upgrade for Free, but everything may not work for some of you.  Bwuaa-ha-ha-ha!"

Time for me to "step slowly away from the keyboard."

If you do get to the point where you can use the Editor:

Windows + R from keyboard
Type gpedit.msc, and click OK button.
Select Administrator template and Windows Component option >> Biometric > change the settings accordingly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still thinking on it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Frederich,

Yeah, I don't know.  I suspect adding the Group Edit capability from the outside is not the same as having the program built into the OS.  Just guessing.

There is obviously something missing.

I think I am again out of ideas for the moment.

Rats.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

After much research I fouind how to get this working.  There are two modes and you can only use one:

1. If you want to use the HP software( Simplepass, client security etc) for logging into websites etc.. then you use the driver supplied by hp.  This driver is not compatible with the built in Windows 8.1 authentication model. Since it is not WBF compliant Windows does not support it and the finger print signon is not available on the  accounts->sign on options page. 

2. If you want to have Windows 8.1 manage it then you need to install this driver from Validity

http://www.validityinc.com/software/hp/wbf.php

It lists the compatible laptops on the page.

Once you install the driver you need to go to device manager and disable and then enable the finger print sensor.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

@MWBarry wrote:

Hi,

After much research I fouind how to get this working.  There are two modes and you can only use one:

1. If you want to use the HP software( Simplepass, client security etc) for logging into websites etc.. then you use the driver supplied by hp.  This driver is not compatible with the built in Windows 8.1 authentication model. Since it is not WBF compliant Windows does not support it and the finger print signon is not available on the  accounts->sign on options page. 

2. If you want to have Windows 8.1 manage it then you need to install this driver from Validity

http://www.validityinc.com/software/hp/wbf.php

It lists the compatible laptops on the page.

Once you install the driver you need to go to device manager and disable and then enable the finger print sensor.

Hope this helps

Thanks, solved my problem.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with HP ENVY, window 8.1.  In window 8.0 I used 'SimplePass' function for fingerprint, however in 8.1 it does not work,

HP Recommended

Nick,

It is sad.  The AuthenTec code (HP SimplePass Versions 6.x) does not seem to work for everyone running Windows 8.1 -- I do not yet know all the "whys".

Hopefully you know your passwords or you have another Windows 8 machine from which you can retrieve them.

You might try the newer version of HP SimplePass version 8.x as suggested in

Simple Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

The version 8.1 bits are toward the end of the file - say the last quarter.

One of our Experts does have this new HPSP version running on his Windows 8.1 system.  You may have success, too.  I had SimplePass version 8.x running for a while (on Windows 8.1) and returned to HP SimplePass V6 -- I just like it better for now.

You will have to remove HP SimplePass V6.x before you install version 8.x.  You will not be able to use your .tsd file to recover your Webcards that was used with the older SimplePass.  Short Answer to "why not?": The code is different in the new version.

HP SimplePass V8.x does have an Export process.  Once you go through the pain of setting up your webcards from scratch, you will be able to Export the webcards to an .opi file; you can later use that to Import the webcards should that be necessary.

Some model notebooks can sometimes use the aforementioned "Windows only" native fingerprinter logon software in Windows 8.1.  Track back through this thread for more information.  The "native" logon option does not provide for website logons.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

hi

i am still can't find a solution for my finger print reader HP elitebook 2530P, i've tried all the possible solutions bunt no way

you have mentionned simplepass v8 where can i find it

best regards

Farid

HP Recommended
Dragon-Fur

"new" version is HP SimplePass 8.0.0.51 where to find this
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.