Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I'm having a similar problem, but not figuring out what the solution is.

Computer runs fine when connected to AC adaptor, even with no battery, so I don't think it is the problem. 

I have one old battery which no longer holds a charge for more than 20 minutes, where it dies instanteously (no low battery warning). I recently bought a new battery to replace it. Neither of them charges now. 

What does the color of the led next to the AC adaptor indicate (orange/white)

I've tried the following with no luck:

1. In device manager > battery,  uninstalling the Microsoft AC adatpor and Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery (w/ battery removed)
  2. in HP Support Assistant - running battery test. Original battery says OK, new battery is not detected
  3. System Diagnostic (pressing ESC on startup) and running battery test. Original battery says OK, New battery says it needs repacing (holds 100% charge capacity, but only remaing capacity is 0 mAh). So the system can detect both batteries. - Both batteries test results indicate that cell 4 has 0 mV
  4. Updating Bios
  5. Booting with Linux CD

Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions what the problem is? I'd like to figure out what is causing it.  I'd really like to be able to work not teather to a power cord.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my lap top, unfortunately, when I reinstall the battery there is no change and it still reads "plugged in but not charging". Is there anything else i can do? Or is it a serious problem with my battery, where in it must be replaced?

HP Recommended
hello,

my laptop is about 1.5 years old and yesterday while working it suddenly shut down without any prior message about battery being low and then when i plugged in the charger it started but a message came as something that battery is very low and you will have to change it and even then i started the laptop but then it showed that the charger was plugged in but the battery wasn't charging, it showed 0%. now if I plug in the charger then the laptop is working otherwise it immediately shuts down and the battery is always 0%.
KINDLY HELP ME OUT.
will i have to change the battery ??
HP Recommended

@BrokeComputer37 wrote:

Hello, I'm having a similar problem, but not figuring out what the solution is.

Computer runs fine when connected to AC adaptor, even with no battery, so I don't think it is the problem. 

I have one old battery which no longer holds a charge for more than 20 minutes, where it dies instanteously (no low battery warning). I recently bought a new battery to replace it. Neither of them charges now. 

What does the color of the led next to the AC adaptor indicate (orange/white)

I've tried the following with no luck:

1. In device manager > battery,  uninstalling the Microsoft AC adatpor and Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery (w/ battery removed)
  2. in HP Support Assistant - running battery test. Original battery says OK, new battery is not detected
  3. System Diagnostic (pressing ESC on startup) and running battery test. Original battery says OK, New battery says it needs repacing (holds 100% charge capacity, but only remaing capacity is 0 mAh). So the system can detect both batteries. - Both batteries test results indicate that cell 4 has 0 mV (that is normal)
  4. Updating Bios
  5. Booting with Linux CD

Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions what the problem is? I'd like to figure out what is causing it.  I'd really like to be able to work not teather to a power cord.

If the notebook is not booted into Windows but plugged into the power adapter, does the power led turn amber signifying that it is charging?

If it does not, then the issue is at a hardware level. There is a circuit on the system board that controls charging and power distribution. It has probably failed if the answer to my first question is no. It should also charge when you have booted with the Linux CD.

Is your notebook in warranty?

Check your warranty status Here.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@IshaArora wrote:
hello,

my laptop is about 1.5 years old and yesterday while working it suddenly shut down without any prior message about battery being low and then when i plugged in the charger it started but a message came as something that battery is very low and you will have to change it and even then i started the laptop but then it showed that the charger was plugged in but the battery wasn't charging, it showed 0%. now if I plug in the charger then the laptop is working otherwise it immediately shuts down and the battery is always 0%.
KINDLY HELP ME OUT.
will i have to change the battery ??

Help us to help you by posting the following information.

1.  The complete Model Name. or Product Number. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number.

If you leave the power adapter connected will the battery charge up to enough capacity to boot into Windows? You will need to let it trickle charge for a couple of hours to try that. 

Are you able to boot into Windows with the battery removed?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Is power adaptor bad if I'm not able to boot into windows with battery out of laptop?

HP Recommended

@seer wrote:

Is power adaptor bad if I'm not able to boot into windows with battery out of laptop?

If you remove the main battery and plug in a powered power adapter and the power\charging led on the notebook is not lit, that generally is a sign that the power adapter has failed. That can also happen if the DC power connector oin the notebook is broken. The lit LED is a diagnostic for the power adapter being OK.

HP Recommended

I have ordered a new charger, will get back..

HP Recommended

You did not answer the question I asked you in a previous post. Please do that. It helps  me to have as much information as I need to have accuracy when troubleshooting.

You can also try gently wiggling the power adapter connector plug at the notebook, while watching the charge\power led for any flickering.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.