Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Recently, i bought myself a HP Pavilion dv7-5000ev laptop with a HP Renew warranty (+ 2 year HP Care Pack).

First time in, the operating system was Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Almost immediately, I found that it was overheating. A prime number calculation stress test + SpeedFan temperature checking showed that cores exhibited extreme temperatures (not falling below 98-99 degrees Celsius). Even after terminating the stress test, the temperatures dropped very slowly (about half an hour, down to 65 degrees, and stopped). I got a suggestion, that a BIOS update would do the trick. It did do the trick (i updated the BIOS to the latest version, provided on HP's official driver download site), but only in terms of half a degree Celsius.

I sent the laptop back to the store, they replaced the Beats Audio speakers and what they called, the "cooling module". Again, i installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, did the stress test again, and temperatures didn't go over 92 degrees.

The problem is, that it is a little too hot, when idling. It was the same even before updating BIOS and sending it away for maintenance. Even when installing software (which, in my opinion, shouldn't be that much CPU intensive), temperatures boost up to 75-80 degrees.

Is this normal? Is it normal for my laptop to be idling at 60-65 degrees Celsius and jumping to 80, when doing nothing more than installing random software?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have an hp pavilion dv7. spent alotta money on it.  i pride myself in maintenance and yet the computer has had 2 critical memory crash errors and constantly runs at an excessively high temperature.  I'm on my second cooling pad. the first one, a targus, just plain sucked.  my new one, a belkin, is far more effective and yet i cant touch the exhaust vent due to the heat.  i guess that's what u get with a core i7. idk.  i like the computer but i just came home to find that it tripped its failsafe and shut itself off because of the heat, IT WAS IDLING ON THE COOLING PAD. quite dissapointing

HP Recommended

I have one too. Mine is an i5 processor. I turned the CPU down to 50% max and it still shuts off and never shuts up.

HP Recommended

I have a dv7 since day 1 one it has over heated like crazy. One year later I can only use it half an hour with the battery or 2 hours with power before it shuts down. Never going to buy another HP product. Gonna tell all my friends not to buy HP either.

HP Recommended

Here is what happened with my HP DV7 7047 cl. It has a manufacturers defect in it, that I fixed myself. I bought mine at SAMS CLUB in the summer of 2012. It is a i7 beats edition DV7 notebook, I'm guessing the same thing is happening with HP's line of DV6 and DV7 laptops. Mine has a nvidia GPU in it, but they also come with ati radeon GPU's. It isn't surprising they are taking them off the market right now.

If your laptop has 2 vents, and the one in the back is not blowing air through it then your laptop possibly has the same problem mine had, and you need to take it to replace the inner fan piece which was designed for only one vent. The way it works is both of these vents are made out of aluminum and are separately connected to the CPU and GPU. The one to the side is your GPU one. The aluminum vent in the back cools your CPU. If your CPU isn't getting any ventilation then your laptop wont last long and could possibly start a fire. Here is how I fixed mine by myself. And how you can fix yours too.

Before taking it apart call HP Support and ask them if you can open it up to "clean it". They will give you permission so it doesn't void the HP warranty.

My laptop would reach between 70c, 80c, 90c, even 100c and would get extremely hot, but wouldn't overheat. And I was concerned because my laptop is only 3 months old. It would get very hot. So I decided to take it apart and see what was going on inside. I followed the instructions on HP's website, they have online guides and manuals for taking your laptop apart and putting it back together. If you need instructions on finding your manual for your laptop then email me at animenick345@live.com. Doing this fixed my laptop entirely. It never gets hot now, it runs faster and can play games at their maximum settings. The CPU will stay only at 60c, 65c at its tops. It's like magic.

Here is how you can surgically correct your faulty laptop fan. You're going to make an opening in the fan, cutting a bit of plastic off, so that the other vent to your CPU can get ventilation, if worst comes to worst, you can jot down the name of the fan on the sticker and go to HP's website and order a new piece to replace it for like 50 bucks.

What you need is...
A small screwdriver
A tiny screwdriver
And (optional) some thermal compound to replace your cooked old compound. Mine was like chalk, I replaced it and it helped cool down my laptop by like 10c. You can get thermal compound at Radio Shack, and the silver stuff is the best.

First open it up carefully, take your time, and take out the motherboard. Its the big chip with the fan connected to it and the aluminum vents.

Next, If you're planning on replacing your thermal compound, then unscrew the bolts on the heat sinks and take the big metal pieces off the chip, place your motherboard chip to the side. Now take the piece with your heat sinks, fan and vents connected to it, and turn it around.

Next unscrew the 4 or 5 tiny bolts behind the fan. So you can take the inner fan piece out. Notice its shape, does it have an opening for your other vent? If not, then make one. Cut an opening in the plastic, the size of the other vent. I used a knife carefully angled to cut the plastic off. Once I cut it, I just bent it off the bottom to take it off. Place the fan back into its frame and screw in the tiny bolts.

Now replace your thermal compound. You can use a Q tip with the cotton off of it, to scrape off the old gunk - then clean it with a slightly wet Q tip. You can use a little rubbing alcohol but you shouldn't need much. Next put a drop of the new compound on the heat sinks and the chip. Using some plastic wrap on your finger even it carefully on top of the little silver parts where the old stuff was.

Now you're good to put it all back together. Gently place the heat sinks on the chip and don't move them while you screw the heat sinks back into the chip.

Carefully put the laptop back together and you're done.

Here's a picture of my fan, and how I fixed mine. I didn't bother to take the piece out when I took the picture cause those tiny bolts are a PAIN to take out with a knife when you don't have a tiny screwdriver.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/1001711d.jpg/

HP Recommended

animenick345, your description was very helpful and I would really like to do this. However I called hp tech support and they would not authorize me to fix it myself. Do yo have any idea what I could do in this situation?

Considering I just bought all the things I need....

HP Recommended

You have to clean the dust and everything out of the heatsink fins. In order to do that, you must remove the keyboard and a bunch of other stuff becaues it's behind everything. The dust prevents the fan's from blowing the air through and causers the core temperature to rise.

HP Recommended

yes I have an Hp pavilion i5 too and it constanly stops from over heating, lucky it's got the safe guard built in or it would have only lasted about one month.

I just got a new mini house hold fan that I keep running constantly over the top of it and it's plugged into a LG 50 inch [ 127 cm] TV and the extra HP screen that comes with the purchase.
they probably added the screen in to keep us quite about the overheating problem this model has.
well you can see the bears at ehe other end of the couch can't bear it to get to close to the HP lappie incase it bursts into flames haha.   but that's my solution 
P.S. there's a Logitech cooler pad underneath the lappie too but that doesn't driect the air in the right places for this HP model so actually useless, if the lappie gets any hotter and the fan doesn't do the trick I'll make it suck air over a puorious clay gar and then directed to the lappie .. then it will almost be supper cooled.

hope this works for you guy and gals too as I use my lappie 24/7 it only gets turn off for time when I'm away on holdays.

Like never in other words and I'm a software broker for freeware [ that's FREE as in you get to eat the banana that fell of the tree .. NOT free as in you saw it falling from adistance and you got a free look only]

the house hold fan burning down the HP calories

HP Recommended

I've had numerour problems with this model laptop (DV7T WV703AV- to be specific).  First, the screen was marred by the laptop case, and then a hot-noisy laptop for the past 3 YEARS!

I've done the vacuuming of the ports, and it worked temporarily for a couple weeks. I've changed the BIOS and for me it didnt do much of a difference.

I've Finally found a solution that works, it is not for the faint of heart, but its a lasting solution. What I did was I took the entire laptop apart. If you are careful and stay organized about where you pulled each screw, you shouldn't have a great problem. You should attempt to YOUtube or google videos/schematics on dissasembly of your respective machine.

There were two reasons my laptop was overheating: 

1) The exhaust ports for the fan were clogged with dust that was too deep for a vaccum to reach (perhaps if you have a high powered vaccuum you could clear the debris)

2) The Thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink && the GPU and the Heat Sink were completely dissolved. I cleaned off the rock hard paste, and replaced it with some Arctic Silver thermal compound. My laptop is running quieter than ever and I finally can enjoy doing work on my machine.

Again, I had nothing to lose, I was out of warranty anyway, but it was a risk worth taking.

HP Recommended

Temporary solution

Vacuumclean the air passages. Lift the laptop 1 to 2 cm above the table and put something under each corner to get more airflow under the laptop. I did and the CPU temperature fell ca 10C+. Don't block the laptop's air passages.

Permanent solution, quote:

+{

One other thing you may want to do, actually two things.

1. Just cleaning the fan the way you suggest may not get all th vent holes cleared out. It is better to take the lap top apart remove the motherboard and remove the fan along with the heat sinks. Next you will find 4 screws on the top side of the fan, remove them. This will seperate the fan from it's housing, now look at the vents from the inside, you may notice a lot of lint stuck squished agains the fan cover. Take a small brush or caned air to clean out. Then take a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean each fan blade. this will take care of the fan problem.

2. I have noticed on most of these laptops that the heatsink compound is lacking to say the leaset. Clean the compound off of the processor and heat sinks. Clean with rubbing alcohol then apply a liberal amount of thermal past and re attach.

I did these two things and have not had any more problems with overheating. Below are two videos. The first will show you how to take apart your laptop. The second will show you how to remove the fan/heatsinks and apply the new thermal comound.

Hope this helps......

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_zp9oubg54

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGBBFdrwxzw

Good Luck.

}+

Source http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/HP-Pavilion-dv7-notebook-running-way-too-hot/td-p/286...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.