Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv8320ca
Microsoft Windows XP

Is this a 32 bit system?  and can Windows Defender work on it?  Thank you

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Yes 32 bit only. Intel T2050 processor is 32 bit so it can never run a 64 bit OS.

You can download Microsoft Security Essentials to Windows XP for antivirus. Defender does not have full function on Windows XP. 

https://blogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2013/11/14/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essen...

HP Recommended

Thanks for quick response!
Problem appears to be that the only boot logging option I have is Windows (default)

Can not seem to even be able to get choice of command prompt or root directory! 

So can not get to Internet to use the link you provided.

Suggestions

HP Recommended

Not sure I understand what you are telling me. It does not boot to an operating system? 

HP Recommended

The only boot sequence option it is giving me is Windows (default)

Windows will not boot up

HP Recommended

Likely needs a new hard drive or to have Windows reinstalled. I was one of the first HPs to use SATA hard drives (actually can hold a pair of hard drives) so it will take drives commonly sold in the market now. 

HP Recommended

Hard drive is ok, this issue appeared after loading and running the new Microsoft patch for ransomeware ....  definitely Windows driven problem.
Need to run chkdsk but can not get to a command prompt

HP Recommended

So found a Windows XP disk to try repair. Can boot and load files from CD but when it comes to pressing "r" to get repair console to run it is telling me that it is not able to connect to hard drive and to run HP diagnostic.  Ran both primary and secondary hard drive tests in BIOS and all 100%.
Has some HP file been corrupted?  Is there something I can download from HP to assist in getting the Windows repair to take place?

HP Recommended

A Microsoft retail XP disk is telling you to run HP diagnostics? 

HP Recommended

No!
I need help on how to get to the HP recovery console for HP Pavilion dv8320ca notebook.
Powering on and hitting F11 does not bring up recovery.
I can however now boot from a CD.  Found out how to select where to boot from by hitting Esc when I turn on machine.

Also can get to all advanced options but none work.

What next?  I just want to factory reset and start again.  Data already backed off.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.