Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had a similar experience.  Even after resetting Windows, constantly updating software, drivers, etc, removing all virus protection, using an external mouse instead of the trackpad, and on and on...  the laptop would freeze a dozen times a day.  

Then, after several months of use, and out of the blue, without any apparent changes by me, the freezing issue went away.  

HP Recommended
Same issue on a 13-ac054na 13" Spectre X360 i7 Kaby Lake with 16GB ram and 1TB SSD.

I also installed the latest BIOS (F.22 A) when I received it. I notice that F.31 A has now been released in May - has anyone installed it? Does it fix the issue?

Observations:

- only occurs when on battery power
- only occurs after beginning to use Microsoft Excel (in my case 2016 via office 365 subscription). Continues even after Excel has been closed.
- keyboard, trackpad, touchscreen and Bluetooth mouse all unusable for a period of 1-30 seconds.
- the frequency and length of freezes seems to build over time
- if left alone, after around 20 minutes the system will "crash" and restart on its own
HP Recommended

@adukcom wrote:

- only occurs after beginning to use Microsoft Excel (in my case 2016 via office 365 subscription). Continues even after Excel has been closed.

I notice this as well. The issue happens very quickly when I'm using office apps and chrome. In an attempt to remedy the issue, I did stop using office desktop apps and chrome, but the computer did eventually start freezing again when using just edge.

Unfortionately, I sent my PC back to HP for repair, and when I got it back the trackpad was loose, and the issue still hadn't been fixed. It's going back to HP tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Well, I thought I solved the issue by removing all the crap in the background but it just happened again today.. I don't think I am going to buy anymore HP systems.. this is a bunch of bull that HP hasn't resolved this.. HP wants to call me and have me do all this run around.. sorry, I spent $2,000 to buy a laptop that works, if you want me to sit and follow directions to solve a problem then you can pay me for my time.. I guess I will go raise hell with Best Buy now.

HP Recommended
So F.31 BIOS doesn't fix it.

However just waited for it to happen few times on battery , immediately plugged in power and it unfroze and didn't occur again the whole time using it.

So 100% it's related to battery use - kind defeats the point of having a portable computer with decent battery life...
HP Recommended
Maybe it's a problem with the video cards/switch
HP Recommended
I just bought a brand new HP Spectre x360 TODAY and am having this issue. I updated all of the windows and HP updates but may be returning it tomorrow. I think I'll try to undo the bios update which seems to have fixed the problem for other people. By the way, this is a problem when it is plugged in and unplugged.
HP Recommended

Same problem here. I bought a new HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac041nd 2017 Kabylake model  and it keeps freezing from time to time. I'm not sure when does it happens exactly. I also did everything mentioned in this thread but the problem is still there.

HP Recommended

So F.32 BIOS seems to finally fix it (that or an Office 365 update in the meantime).

I've used my Spectre X360 Kaby Lake (13-ac0xx) the last 2 weeks with the F.32 BIOS and didnt experience any lock ups (my standard usage would regularly bring them).

I advise checking on the HP website for available BIOS, since the HP Drivers & Support Application didnt pick it up.... this version was released in mid-June.

Good luck!

Adam

HP Recommended

Here is what I did to seemingly fix the issue:

Go into Device Manager and update all drivers by right clicking each driver and selecting the update driver option. The wifi card had an update for me. I believe that was part 1 of the solution.

Next, right click on the wifi adapter in Device Manager,  and in the Power Management tab unckeck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Then go into Control Panel, search for Power and select "Edit power plan"

It will most likely bring up the HP Recommended  power plan as your selected plan.

Click "Change advanced power settings"

Go to Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode 

Select Maximum Performance for both "On battery" and "Plugged in" 

That fixed the lock ups for me and the random network drop-outs while running on battery. 

Hope this helps.

PS: My laptop has been running with no wifi drop-outs or lock-ups for the last 4-5 days now, whereas previously it'd lock up and/or  drop out regularly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.