Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x2 (12-a008nr)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our company purchases the HP Spectre X2 through Verizon for case notes that we write out in the community. It's important that these devices are encrypted through Bitlocker because it does hold sensitive data on our clients and it must be protected to comply with HIPAA laws. 

We usually always purchase the HP Spectre x2 (12-a001dx) and perform a fresh install of Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise. Then we install updates, and Office 2016, and encrypt the device through Bitlocker and send it out with our employees to use out in the field. We've done about 14 like this, no issues at all. 

More recently we purchased two more Spectres from Verizon, but for some reason we received the HP Spectre x2 (12-a008nr). On the first one, we followed the same process as always but after encryption had completed, the system wanted us to enter the bitkey every single time we rebooted the system. I thought this was user error in terms of installation, so I went and performed two additional clean installs on the same PC with the same results. Since the settings looked fine, I went ahead and performed a fresh install on second Spectre I received in that batch, and this had the same results as the first. 

I've troubleshooted everything that I can possibly think of. I performed updates, made sure all changes were made prior to encryption, made all settings in the bios to boot to the OS, then encrypted. It wanted a bitkey every time at reboot. Then I suspended Bitlocker protection and resumed Bitlocker protection, but this did nothing and again it wanted a bitkey at every reboot. 

We use the same bootable usb, with the same ISO, and the same settings. Nothing has changed about our particular process. What has changed is that this is a different model. I didn't think it would make a difference, honestly, but it's quite literally the only difference between the successful installations and the unsuccessful installations. 

Any ideas? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @BGSW – Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that Bitlocker is asking for bit key every time you boot the PC. I did some digging and you have already tried all the solutions that were given. Certainly, do appreciate your efforts in this!

I would suggest contacting the HP phone support for further assistance. 

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

HI there - I dont suppose you got to a resolution on this??

HP Recommended

Yes, I found one after two weeks but unfortunately it needs to be a clean install, so there's no reversing the problem if you've installed Windows and activated a license of any sort. This process will do a clean install and you will lose your license for Windows and any other programs you have (which actually happened in my case). 

First, restart the computer and immediately start pressing F10 once it starts to reboot. This will bring you to the BIOs where you need to make sure that in boot options section (which I think is labeled as System Configuration) that:

Secure Boot is set to DISABLED

Legacy Support is set to ENABLED

Don't change the boot order or anything else in the bios, just save the changes to the settings you changed above and exit the bios. As soon as you do this, you'll want to get to the boot menu so immediately start pressing F9 which should give you the option to boot from the bootable USB drive when presenting you with a list of options to boot from. If you miss this opportunity, just restart the system and press F9 until the boot menu comes up. 

Go through the Windows Installation and setup. It is my strong recommendation that before encrypting with bitlocker, and most certainly before you activate any licenses, that you install all your programs and perform all your updates first. In fact, make sure the system is absolutely ready to go out the door, before this next part. 

Once everything is in order, go to the control panel and pull up Bitlocker. Be very careful with this process because it's easy to push through quickly. It should say C: BitLocker off, and next to it "Turn On Bitlocker", go ahead and click on this. If you're like me, you have a USB drive that you're using to save the file to. It should present you with the option to save the file locally or through a Microsoft account, but I have to save mine to a USB drive due to company policy.  If that's the same for you, go to Save File, and navigate to the USB, and click save. Once the file with your key has shown up on your USB drive, stop the process here and safely eject the USB through Windows. Do not start the process of encryption with this drive plugged in. Despite this being the drive we just saved the key on, the system will expect to always see this drive no matter what you do later on. Suspending and Resuming protection will not change this fact, and it will expect that drive to always be attached. 

Once the USB is removed, you can then start the encryption process. Once the encryption process is complete, restart the system several times to make sure that you don't have to enter the bitkey at every reboot. 

If you're sure everything looks good, and the bitkey problem is resolved, then activate any licenses. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.