Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Steam 11 or 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

With windows 10 loaded the HP Stream 11 and 13 will have minimum diskspace. I want to list the steps that you can take to over come this issue. I haven't seen all of these remedies posted any where. So, this is what I have found to make a bad situation better.

1.  Install memory card

2. In Windows 10 in settings set storage settings to point to the memory card.

3. Instead of having the download folder pointing to c drive have it point to d. That way what is downloaded will be loaded to the memory card.

4. Set virtual memory to 1 gb. Mine was setting at 1.6. I dropped it to 1 gb and I see no difference in performance. I gained about 600 meg by doing this

5. Use the Disk Management tool and look at the partitions that are on drive c. I eliminated all of them except the EFI partition. These partitions get created when you upgreade to a different OS. This was the biggest gain in disk space for me. About 2 gb. I decided I wasn't going backward so I don't need the partitions.  The Disk Management tool will show the partitions. Use the DiskPart.EXE to delete them. DiskPart.EXE is a command prompt tool.

6. Use the disk cleanup tool to get rid of unnecssary files. Be sure to clean up the system files. It's a choice that is in the tool.

Hopefully this will be of some help for you to regain some disk space.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jrmrhrb

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

That's a good list -- but here's an additional step you can take to clean up the WinSxS folder and reclaim more space:  http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Dean,

Thanks for the additional item. That did get another 200mb. Hopefully other people can add to the list on ways that we can recover disk space. I think it's a matter of finding where the space is being used and figuring out a way to reduce it or maybe figure out how to store items in a different way.

Thanks again,

HP Recommended

Hey @jrmrhrb

May be you could check this thread >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/New-HP-stream-out-of-disc-space-...

Use TreeSizeView and all the other suggestions to see what is hiding where.

May be also you could purge "System Restore" points,

also delete Windows update cached downloads C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Downloads

Cheers.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for reply. Will check each item.

Here's another suggestion. From the command prompt use the compact /compactOS:always command. This command compacts the system binary files. I picked up over 2 gb by doing this. So far I haven't seen a performance difference in what I have been doing. This can always be undone by using the compact /compactOS:never command which unpacks everything. This command and getting rid of unnecessary partitions is the biggest savings in space.

One more is to turn off hibernation. This will get about 700mb. To turn it off use admin command prompt and type in:

Powercfg /hibernation off. To turn it back on: Powercfg /hibernation on.

Hibernation allows the laptop to write what is in ram to the disk. Then when you startup it pulls what was written on disk back into ram. This is done for the case where if you were to have a power outage the contents would not be lost. My thinking is since it is a laptop and it has a battery and if you have it plugged into to power it doesn't really do anything because it will still be running because it will just go on battery. Also, when I close the lid on the stream I don't have anything important on it. If I did I would save the file before shutting the lid.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.