Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Well after wadding through one of the most asinine web sites I have ever seen for customer support I wind up here.  It figures that a multimillion dollar company would make us solve their problems so they don't have to.  Then again better everyone here than some guy in Bangladesh where English isn't his first or second language!!!
I have a new lap top with the new Windows 7.  Let me tell ya if "We" are the ones who thought this up "We" need to stick to our day jobs.  but I digress. ...
Tonight I plugged in my HP photo scanner 1000 and figured I would have to down load the driver because it wasn't acting right.  Well there doesn't appear to be a driver for this scanner and Windows 7.  So what do I do ?? I don't have an install disc....not that it would work anyway.  I am guessing I now have a useless piece of equipment... which makes me really mad because this baby scanner is awesome !

So does anyone have any idea when or IF I will EVER be able to use this scanner with Windows 7 ???
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

how old is this printer, it looks like it was a pre-vista unit?

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
HP Recommended

or for $59.99 you can get this all in one http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/Photosmart/1/storefronts/Q8418A%2523ABA that has 4x the scanning resolution than your old photo scanner 1000

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
HP Recommended

when  all else fails read the manual.

HP photo scanner 1000 installs itself automatically as a removable drive and saves your scan in that drive. there is a wonderful little program that can save to folders of your choice. you can read and download it from: http://www.mediachance.com/free/hp1000.htm

i have not tried it on Windows 7, but now that i know where to search for the scanned copy, i shall try again.

I hope i have solved your dilemna, and you will be able to use this wonderful piece of quirky equipment,  and will alter your remark, "Then again better everyone here than some guy in Bangladesh where English isn't his first or second language!!!". 

i will leave you to guess where i am from.

HP Recommended

ibuddy,     thank you!     cheers to Bangladesh!     I  loved this  mini photo scanner years ago so much that I wore the first one out and purchased a second for travel stuff.   I was miffed when I found I could not use it on Windows 7,  and found only garbly goop on other sites...

Your sotultion works!     thank you, I can  now take this to remote sites when I am scanning  for my  Newspaper business and pack it for travel!

kudos to you!

HP Recommended

My apologies,  for mistaking your name,  you are   ibudhha ... thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi, I am not a computer guru, but it just so happens that I picked up an HP photo scanner 1000 today at one of those cheapy stores for $5.00. I am also running Win 7 and when I connected the scanner via USB, Windows automatically installed the software, so you should not be needing any discs or other installation software. I even scanned a picture and it worked perfectly. You can locate the scanned item by going to My Computer and you will see it as one of the drives (in my computer it is labelled as Photoscan 3 (G) but the letter may differ on yours. If Windows does not automatically install the software for the scanner, the only other thing I can suggest is to install SP1 on your PC  if you haven't already done so. You can either download it or obtain the CD from Microsoft. In case you didn't know, SP1 is a vast library of drivers and other software which may be required in some instances.                                                                                                      Good luck!

Marty

HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm new to this board, but it just happens that I plugged my HP Photo Scanner 1000 into my two-month old Dell computer with Windows 7 Professional on it today.  I've had this scanner for a number of years and used it with several types of Windows.  It has always installed itself and worked just fine.  I scanned a picture today, and it went to the folder like it was supposed to.  So....I suppose I don't understand what all the fuss about a driver for Windows 7 is.  Now.......if you could just tell me why my HP ScanJet G4010 won't install, even with a disk of installation software, etc., I'd be a happy man.

DonO

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.