cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
chowww Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive Failure / Recovery Disk

Pavilion dv5-1235dx
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I am in need of some help about hard drive failure and using a recovery disk. Not sure if this question has been answered or not but figured I would give it a shot. 

I have a HP Pavilion dv5-1235dx that was running Windows Vista 64 bit. Unfortunately, the hard drive failed and I do not have any Windows Vista disks to help reinstall, and I also do not have the Windows Vista product key located on the bottom of the computer because it was rubbed off. I already have the new hard drive. So what I am wondering is, if I were to order recovery disks from HP is that all I will need to order? Or will I have to find a vista product key from somewhere else? Or how many different disks will I need to purchase? Just looking for the right path to take here. Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
19,051 16,988 1,580 3,737
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chowww

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Order Recovery Media from HP for your PC is not an option because HP stopped carrying Vista media a long time ago.

Since HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you should check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/ and http://www.restoredisks.com/

But ... don't be surprised if they also no longer carry it.

Before using the media, read through this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
chowww Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response!

So if I were to purchase recovery disks from another site for the HP, do you think I would still need a product key? Or do you think the recovery disks would have the product key with them? 

If none of those options work out, are there any other paths for me to take? As in, installing another operating system? Or any other way to get the laptop up and running? Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
19,051 16,988 1,580 3,737
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chowww

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

With an OS that old, your options are very limited -- as no one (as far as I know) even sells Vista anymore.  HP doesn't stock the recovery media, and these other sites likely do not, as well.

The newer HP Recovery Media is designed to automatically reuse the existing product key embedded in the BIOS when the PC is restored -- but I don't know if the Vista media does that, as I have never used it.

The good news is that HP does supply Win7 drivers for your PC, so you could purchase Win7, install that, and then get the drivers you need from the HP product page:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv5-1200-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-serie...

You would not, though, get any HP utilities or apps because those are only available through recovery media.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
chowww Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response WAWood!

So technically I don't have to install vista, I could just install windows 7/8/10?

Thank you!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation