Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I have been asked by a mate to install a bigger hard disk on his daughters laptop it is a Compaq NC6220 my question is firstly does the laptop have provision for a 2nd drive or does the original drive need to be replaced with the OS and Apps reinstalled? Also what type of drive is it I am guessing 2.5" SATA drive. Also is there any BIOS limitations as to what is the maximum size the HDD the BIOS will accept. 

The reasons I am asking this question is his daughter needs the laptop and I cant get my hands on it until I have a drive here and can do the replacement quickly.

Thanks again.

Ikhan42

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No it is ATA/IDE on the hard drive and there is only one hard drive slot. Access is easy on the bottom corner in an easily removeable caddy/sled.

It is the Intel 915GM chipset and a Dothan Centrino processor so hard drive size should not be an issue but to be 100% safe get a 120 gig or smaller drive. Personally I would not hesitate to order something over 120 gigs because I am 95% sure you will have no problem. Pay careful attention to the jumpering and jumper the new drive the same as the old if there is a jumper present. 

You will need to reinstall OS and apps, but you can make that easy by using something like Ghost or Acronis, make an image of her hard drive, and then restore it to the new drive.  You could be in and out of there in an hour if you are prepared in advance.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that info I was thinking of putting a 500GB dribe in there as I know he will say why such a small drive. They are 2.5inch drives ofcourse. Is there any makes that these laptops dont like?

ikhan42

HP Recommended
also forgot to mention all the new 2 1/2" laptop drives are SATA. Its going to be hard to find a IDE/ATA drive with 500GB isnt it?
HP Recommended
Yes I am not sure I have seen a 500 gig IDE laptop hard drive but I have seen 320 gig and 250 gig IDE drives. I think all of the drive mfrs make a pretty good product these days but I tend to be partial to Seagate because their warranty is a bit better.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.