Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I'm sure this isnt' where this goes honestly but putting it out there just to try to help anybody else who struggled with this as long as I did... I ended up getting my two USB ports on the left side (turned out to be my 3.0 ports) to work again when they wouldn't recognize anything. I could use the 2 USB on the right 2.0 ports, but the transfer rate was terrible. 

My response on another question where someone had a similar issue... good luck!

"Hi 

Not sure if this will help you but I had the same problem, the two left ports were not working on my Dv7. This whole time I thought the right USB were my 3.0 ports so I figured it'd be okay but it's been over a year since I originally had this issue and was doing a bunch of system maintenance so figured I'd look through it again. Anyway, I went to Device Manager through the Computer Management tool. I know you can go straight to device manager, but just giving it to you exactly how I did it. You can just search computer management from Start. 

So I selected Device Manager from the menu on the left side and it looked like regular device manager. Went down to Universal Serial bus Controllers... at this point I looked at the action menu on the right and selected more actions, view, and clicked Show Hidden Devices. After that i went through my USB Controllers one by one as I had done many times before and checked them out, tried updating drivers, etc... I noticed underneath the USB Controllers Section something like xHCI Compliance Test Host Controller... I right clicked it and went into it's details, I attempted to updated the driver and it installed the new driver. Immediately 2 new USB controllers popped up: Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller and Root Hub. 

Switched out a test thumb drive from the right to the left and the computer instantly recognized it and installed the driver for the stick.

And that was that... hope it helps even though it's way later. "

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @klark1kent ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome and thanks for the important information.

Have a good week.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @klark1kent ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome and thanks for the important information.

Have a good week.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

another option is to disable, and then re-enable the device in device manager

HP Recommended

Has anyone else out there had this issue? I have a spectre 360 and my left USP port doesn't work. At all. I tried the directions Klark1Kent listed and I could not find the "Text Host Controllers" part. I right-clicked on the USB controllers section, updated all the drivers, and when I showed the hidden drivers, there was a grayed out one in additon to the 3 blacked in ones. I couldn't do anything with that. Any ideas how to get this left port to work? Anyone know what I may have done wrong? Thanks!

Antonia Semanskee, M.S.
HP Recommended

hi. this can, for unknown reasons, be precipitated by connecting two devices simultaneously to all USB ports on one side. So, for example, if you have a bluetooth antenna plugged into one usb, and an external harddrive connected to the other usb, sometimes they'll "trip" the bus port. I have successfully overcome the issue by locating the suspect driver - usually identified with an orange-colored exclamation point(!). Right click & select 'disable'. then repeat, but 'ENABLE' it. 

If this does not work. reboot the computer AFTER you first disable. The re-enable after the reboot

HP Recommended

So i wanted to share something regarding the same issue that i started to go through i.e the two USB ports on the left side (3.0 ports) stopped working suddenly.

I couldnt find the xHCI thing you mentioned, but there was this thing mentioned as Renesas USB 3.0 Extensible something, it had a warning sign just with it, this was basically the drivers for that two ports so i tried updating it but it said its already the latest version. Then i saw that under device status it said that windows has disabled this device or something as errors were reported, so what i did was just that i uninstalled that driver, then went to the top and scanned for hardware changes, this solved the issue for me.

Hope it helps,

Cheers!!

HP Recommended

See my reply on the same post, hope it helps

HP Recommended

Hi i had the same issue but had to take a different approach so if anybody needs help with windows 10 heres how i did it.

Step 1: go to the windows navigator in the bottom left corner click it and go into settings

Step 2: Search Device Manager and launch it

Step 3: scroll down until you find Universal Serial Bus controllers

Step 4: disable your 3.0 usb drives then re-enable them.

Thats all you should be set to go after that!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the instructions.  I located the problem usb port, disabled it and then enabled it and that solved the problem.  A huge thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.