Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I bought an HP EliteBook 8560p (LG735EA#ABD) a while ago. Now, for various things to do (like using XP Mode), I want to make use of the built-in VT-x abilities. However, the particular BIOS option is greyed out, so are most others. What do I do wrong, and how can I reach my goal?

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi:

Normally on HP business notebooks, one will find the VT enable setting in the BIOS' security menu.

You need to strike the F10 key where you make the change to save the setting and again when you exit the BIOS.

Paul

HP Recommended

The point is, I cannot change it. It is greyed out.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the service manual does not provide the detailed system setup menus on the 8560 like they do on other business notebooks.

I found this generic HP document that for an elitebook that states the following:

Enable virtualization in the BIOS
To run Virtual PC and XP Mode in Windows 7, the virtualization must be enabled in the BIOS. Follow these steps to make sure virtualization is enabled.
  1. Shut down the computer and turn it back on. Repeatedly press esc key at startup.
  2. Press the F10 key for BIOS Setup.
  3. Press the right arrow key to System Configuration , select Virtualization Technology and then press the enter key.
  4. Select Enabled and press the enter key.
  5. Press the F10 key and select Yes and press the enter key to save changes.

It is possible you need to make these changes both in the System Configuration Menu and the Security Menu.

HP Recommended

I did that, but step 3 could not be done. I can't set it as "Enabled" when it is greyed out.

HP Recommended

The support document then states:

If you cannot enable Virtualization Technology on in your BIOS, check if your BIOS needs to be updated .

I recommend you contact HP technical support since your notebook should still be under warranty.

Updating the BIOS is a risky process.

This is the link to the support document.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

HP Recommended

I had already updated it but still no luck.

HP Recommended

I wish I could help you further, but I don't have an 8560p.

I did check the system specs to confirm that all available processors are VT capable, so that isn't the problem.

I have an Elitebook 6930p, and I could enable VT with no issues at all.

My setting was in the device configuration menu and is not grayed out.

I have the mouse controlled UEFI BIOS that is probably the same as yours.

Did you try to reset the BIOS to its defaults on the main page?

HP Recommended

Actually, as I haven't changed anything there yet, they are the defaults. Weird enough, only a very few options are enabled for me. I can't even set an "BIOS administrator password".

HP Recommended

I'm playing around in mine.  I may just read the manual for mine. I think it has all the setting values.

Take a look at your device configuration menu. Do you have a Set Security Level box to enter?

In the BIOS on my PC, this menu, when I scroll down shows a Virtualization Technology setting and it has a choice of Change, View or Hide.

Mine is set to Change.

My setup BIOS admin password is blue. User management is grayed out and all the rest except Drivelock Password.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.