cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mr_Quietest
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

How can I find the bit depth and edition of a pre-installed OS?

HP Recommended
ProBook 4320S

I fell into the hands of a laptop  HP ProBook 4320S with a dead HDD. The sticker on the case is preserved, but only partially: the number looks great, and the version (Pro or Home) and bit depth is unknown. Can I somehow find out the type and bit depth of the OS that was installed by the manufacturer?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,951 42,191 4,642 12,404
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, not without booting to the hard disk.

It could have been Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit), Home Premium (32-bit), Professional (32-bit) or Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Mr_Quietest
Author
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows has different numbers for the same issues of different bit width: x86 is activated by a key from x64 or not?

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mr_Quietest wrote:

Windows has different numbers for the same issues of different bit width: x86 is activated by a key from x64 or not?

Usually the numbers work on either.

The problem you will run into is that the installed OS was an OEM version, not a consumer version.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Mr_Quietest
Author
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In this case, the type of distribution does not matter - OEM in its influx is no different from the Box version of OS

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are the one with the issue who asked for help, not me. 

Good luck.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Mr_Quietest
Author
Level 1
8 6 1 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation