Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an Envy 4-1130us ultrabook that is really nice, but I can't get my bluetooth to work.  It did work for about a week, but somehow is now failing.  I attempted to go into pc settings > wireless and turn the bluetooth to "on" but it is not allowing this.  I have also tried using f12, but it is only activating the wi fi. FYI - I was using the bluetooth for a wireless mouse.  Anything else I might try?

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hello,

I see that you're having an issue activating the Bluetooth on your notebook. I noticed you have already done a couple of steps to try and resolve this issue. 

I will list a couple of steps for you to follow, let me know if this resolves your issue.

1.     Press the Windows http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/896/c03501802.gif + W key.

2.     Type Bluetooth into the Search field.

Figure 20: Searching for BluetoothImage of bluetooth search results

2. Click Change Bluetooth settings from the list of results.
  3. Click the box next to Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area , and then click Apply .
    Figure 21: Showing the Bluetooth icon in the notification area
    Showing the Bluetooth icon in the notification area
  4. The Bluetooth icon  displays in the notification area in the lower right.
  5. Double-click the Bluetooth icon  to access common tasks for Bluetooth devices.
    Figure 22: Bluetooth menu
    Image of Bluetooth menu in the notification area

Anchor

Tips for finding a Bluetooth device
If Windows cannot detect the Bluetooth device, check the following items:
  • Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and set to be discoverable on the device. When a device is set to be discoverable, it uses radio signals to broadcast its location to other Bluetooth devices and computers.
    • A device such as a wireless mouse or a keyboard, might have a button on it that you need to push.
    • A device such as a Bluetooth mobile phone, might have a setting in the menu that you need to select to turn on Bluetooth so the device can be discovered.
      NOTE:If you do not know how to set your device to be discoverable, check the information that came with your device or go to the manufacturer’s website.
      • A device such as computer might need to have the Discovery setting turned on. To turn on Discovery in Windows 8, press the Windows  + W key.
        Type bluetooth into the Search field.
        Figure 25: Searching for bluetooth
        Image of bluetooth search results
        Click Change Bluetooth settings from the list of results.
        The Bluetooth Settings window displays.
        In the Discovery area on the Options tab, click Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer .
        Figure 26: Making the Bluetooth device discoverable

Making the device discoverable

Also, here are a couple of tips you can consider using while trying to activate the bluetooth.

• Make sure the device is turned on, is not low on battery power, and is not in sleep mode.
        • Make sure the device is within wireless range of your computer, usually within six to nine feet. If you are not sure if the device is in range, move it closer to your computer, or put the device and computer in the same room.
        • Make sure there are no other devices interfering with the wireless device, such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, or other wireless devices.
        • If your computer uses an external Bluetooth adapter, make sure the adapter is attached and installed, and is working correctly.
        • If Bluetooth is integrated in your computer, especially a notebook computer, make sure the Bluetooth radio transmitter is turned on because many notebook computers have a button to turn the transmitter on and off. If you are not sure how to turn it on, check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

THX

HP Recommended

I did all this and it worked but it says my device is paired, but not connected. How do I connect it?

HP Recommended

r0b458,

Your wireless mouse is not connecting.

There should be a button on the bottom of the mouse that says connect.

You can just hold down that button for a few seconds.

Let me know how everything goes.

HP Recommended

pls i clicked the bluetooth icon on the task bar and clicked remove icon and now i cant find my bluetooth any more cause it pls what do i do

HP Recommended

Hello belloaudu555555,

You have deleted the Bluetooth from your task bar.

Go to device manager and right click on the Bluetooth, select enable.

Here is a link to open device manager.

This should bring back the icon.

If not, here is a link that will walk you through some steps.

Let me know how everything goes.

HP Recommended

hi there does anyone know how to get bluetooth on these annoying windows 8 systems?? thanks

HP Recommended

Hi vivaliciousx. What is the model number of your notebook? Are you using integrated Bluetooth or an external device?

<How Do I Find My Notebook Model Number>: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

This one is very helpful to me. So hearty thanks for the solution..............

HP Recommended

I have a HP2000 laptop and I'm following your instructions but my windows 8 looks different. When I press the windows button + W, I will type in bluetooth then I will also click on Add Device. It now scans for a device but its not locating any devices. I'm receiving the message "No devices found". I don't have the option to "Change bluetooth settings". Please help and thanks for your response!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.