Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS m7 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am running Windows 10 (x64) (build 10586) on my HP ENVY TS m7 notebook with HP Support Assistant 8.1.40.3. I am used to seeing the Support Assistant question mark blue background circular icon located on the right side of my Windows task bar in the notification area just to the right of the up-carat for "show hidden icons".

However, about 2 days ago, the Support Assistant automatically downloaded and installed the latest version of itself. The "?" icon disappeared from the task bar notification area, and reappeared instead on my desktop. I right-clicked on the desktop icon and then clicked on "Pin to Desktop". This pinned the Support Assistant icon to the left side of my taskbar along with icons for the File Explorer, Windows Store, and other open program icons.

I tried just dragging the Support Assistant icon to the right side Notification Area of the task bar but that can't be done. Please give me detailed instructions on how to get the Support Assistant icon back to where I am used to seeing it.

Thank you for your help.

ScreenHunter_25 Nov. 27 10.43.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Another option you may need to check is as follows.

Launch HP Support Assistant.

Click on the Settings cog towards the top right.

In the following panel, make sure that the 'Display an icon in the Taskbar'  ( see the highlighted option in the image below ) entry is checked - if it isn't, click the box to enter a tick and then click the Save button.

HP Support Assistant Settings.PNG

Regards,

DP-K

Hello Again David,

Success at last! I uninstalled HP Support Assistant and reinstalled it. When the installation was completed, I found that the Support Assistant icon was now located on the right of my Windows 10 taskbar in the notification area, where I am used to seeing it. See image below. So this matter is now closed.

Thank you for all your suggestions and help, which contributed to my analysis of this issue, and its eventual solution.

All good wishes and cheers,

Joel

ScreenHunter_26 Nov. 28 14.41.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Right click on an empty area of the Taskbar, select Toolbars and enter a checkmark next to 'HP Support Assistant'.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Try the following.

Right click on an empty area of the Taskbar, select Toolbars and enter a checkmark next to 'HP Support Assistant'.

Regards,

DP-K

Hi David,

When I follow your instructions and select Toolbar, I am given 5 choices:  Address, Links, iTunes, Desktop, or New Toolbar. There is no way to enter a checkmark next to HP Support Assistant.

I suspect a solution has something to do with the Task Bar Notification settings, but I can't find anything that indicates "Display HP Support Assistant". 

In looking at a friend's HP Windows 10 laptop with the latest version of HP Support Assistant, the ? icon is located at the right end of the task bar, in the notification area.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

Another option you could check is as follows.

From the Start Menu, select Settings.

In the following window, select System and then select Notifications & actions.

Click the link Select which icons appear on the Taskbar.

In the following list, make sure the slider next to HP Support Assistant is set to On.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi Joel,

Another option you could check is as follows.

From the Start Menu, select Settings.

In the following window, select System and then select Notifications & actions.

Click the link Select which icons appear on the Taskbar.

In the following list, make sure the slider next to HP Support Assistant is set to On.

Regards,

DP-K

Hi David,

This was a good suggestion. But when I opened Settings and "Select which icons appear in the task bar notification area" I am not given a choice to turn HP Support Assistant on or off, as the attached images show.

So now the question would be: How to I get HP Support Assistant to appear in the list of applications?

See:

ScreenHunter_26 Nov. 27 13.53.jpg

ScreenHunter_25 Nov. 27 13.53.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi,

In the following panel, make sure that the 'Display an icon in the Taskbar'  ( see the highlighted option in the image below ) entry is checked - if it isn't, click the box to enter a tick and then click the Save button.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

DP-K

Hi David,

Thank you for following up on this issue and trying to help me resolve it.

I did check the Support Assistant settings, as you suggested, and the appropriate boxes had been checked. See image below.

I have considered removing the HP Support Assistant from my computer and reinstalling it, using this link:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

I'm not sure if that will make any difference in getting the Support Assistant icon to appear in the notification area, but that's the only other option that I can think of.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Joel

ScreenHunter_26 Nov. 28 13.51.jpg

HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

DP-K

Hello Again David,

Success at last! I uninstalled HP Support Assistant and reinstalled it. When the installation was completed, I found that the Support Assistant icon was now located on the right of my Windows 10 taskbar in the notification area, where I am used to seeing it. See image below. So this matter is now closed.

Thank you for all your suggestions and help, which contributed to my analysis of this issue, and its eventual solution.

All good wishes and cheers,

Joel

ScreenHunter_26 Nov. 28 14.41.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.