Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi, I have an HP Pavilian DV7 laptop, and I wanted to know how to lock the Funtion key. I have seen in other websites that they say to simply hold it, hit fn + num lock, fn + F11, and fn + scroll lock, but none of those work for me. Can someone please help me?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

lock the Fn key in the sense that you will use the function keys(F1,F2,F3...............)+FN key combinations without using the FN key then the simple way of locking the FN key is boot into the bios using F10 key on startup that is used on most hp laptops then in the bios screen select the option system configuration. under system configuration you will find something as action mode keys and make it enabled then save the changes and then exit the bios screen. hope the issue will be resolved on restart to unlock get into bios screen and disable action mode keys.:smileyvery-happy:

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
HP Recommended

Wow...nobody has responded to this!

I have the exact same problem and I find it SO frustrating!

The only thing I find that works is to restart and that gets a bit time consuming.

I have found the same sort of "solutions." Lots of combinations of holding down the fn key along with NumLock, Alt, Ctrl, etc...but none of them work.

If anyone out there knows how to unlock this key, please share it with us!

HP Recommended

You can't "lock" the function key...you have to press it and then press the key you wish to use.

HP Recommended

lock the Fn key in the sense that you will use the function keys(F1,F2,F3...............)+FN key combinations without using the FN key then the simple way of locking the FN key is boot into the bios using F10 key on startup that is used on most hp laptops then in the bios screen select the option system configuration. under system configuration you will find something as action mode keys and make it enabled then save the changes and then exit the bios screen. hope the issue will be resolved on restart to unlock get into bios screen and disable action mode keys.:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I had a similar situation where I thought that my Fn Key was looked b/c I couldn't for the life of me type a Question Mark (?) all I would get was é or É.  and  other ctrl+key functions where doing crazy things

Turned out that the language setting on my keybord arbitrarily decided that I should use Canadian French key map instead of US standard without me noticing.

So anyways that was my blonde moment, give it a quick shot.  Check the bottom right of your screen by the task bar.

also I got to say I'm quit disapointed in the lack of support.  Why am I / we depending on other users for answers?

HDX X18-1378CA - NV122UA
HP Recommended

mmohanty01:  u rock!  This worked.  But on my Pavilion G62, the BIOS options for the fn keys are backwards.  It says if it's enabled, the function keys work normally (f1, f2, etc.).  But that's not the case.  You have to *disable* the feature for the keys to work this way.  At least on this machine.  And I just upgraded the BIOS to the latest (f.17a).  Odd...  So I think I disabled the feature and now the keys are working as I want:  f1, f2, etc.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

See Disable The Fn + Function Key Combination on Certain Models for detailed instructions.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know if this will work on a Probook 4520s?  I actually want to do the opposite of the other posters - I want to be able to adjust volume, etc. WITHOUT also pressing the fn key.  On the 4520s, the default method requires pressing the fn key in addition to the respective function key for multimedia control. (I can't try it because I don't own the 4520s yet, but want to purchase them for my biz)  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Your suggestion worked, Thank you so much.

See Disable The Fn + Function Key Combination on Certain Models for detailed instructions.

Now my Function keys work as is, i DONT HAVE TO hold down the fn key anymore.

HP Recommended

espero que entiendan español... pues bien... como desbloquear la tecla fn la verdad me paso por error asi que no lo se con exactitud pero se puede hacer por la BIOS de la pc presionando f10 al prender la maquina para abrir la configuracion de la BIOS (ojo: es mejor que no cambien nada de lo que no esten seguros ahi o la pueden dañar o desmejorar el funcionamiento) luego a sistema y desactivan la opcion de teclas de accion... Bueno, he aqui mi descubrimiento... si en la Bios las teclas de accion se encuentran activas y ya en el windows de todas maneras deben presionar combinaciones como fn-f1... fn-f12 para sacar las opciones alternas, la manera de bloquearlo HA SIDO presionando la tecla fn+(tecla de windows) esa que tiene el logo... por que? no lo se, pero a mi me funciono... espero que les sirva como a mi porque estaba perdiendo la cabeza por eso... jaja!! saludos... 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.