Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought a HP Envy& I also discovered that the "F" buttons should be disabled so that they will work without holding down the "fn" key.

It appears that they have got it backwards.

So,my "F"buttonsnow work without the need for "fn" key.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I tried. I have an HP ProBook 450 G2.

The BIOS did not have a 'Setup Utility' option.

The article, HOW-TO: Disable The FN + Function on HP Laptops, was very clear, but did not assist me.

HP Recommended

Nope.

HP Recommended

The screen I got looks nothing like this.

The Setup Utility option is not provided at all.

I have an HP ProBook 450 G2.

HP Recommended

Came across this after someone sent me a link asking me to help them with this problem as they couldn't get into the BIOS.

If anyone encounters this problem, before changing BIOS settings, can you simply try holding down Fn+Left Alt+Left Shift+Caps Lock for a second then let go and try your Function keys again.

Pressing each key one by one, but keeping them all pressed, so:

Press and hold down Fn, Press and hold down Left Alt, Press and hold down Left Shift, Press and Hold down CAPS LOCK then release holding down of all keys.

Works great on the computers I've helped with.  Then you also have the quick instant ability to swap between the two different functions of those keys without going hunting for keyboard settings in Control Panel, rebooting or changing BIOS settings.

HP Recommended

1. Boot into the bios (using F10 key on startup or ESC then F10)

2. In the bios screen select the option system configuration.

3. Under System-Configuration

Action mode keys = make it enabled " then save the changes and then exit the bios screen. hope the issue will be resolved on

4. Save the changes

5. Exit the bios screen. 

Hoping the issue be resolved on the restart.

HP Recommended

I have HP Pavilion 15-ab211 with Windoes 10 .when i treid to adjust my fn key from the bios i found it "key action enabled "and still fn key required in use

HP Recommended

Not being able to "lock" the funtion key (similar to caps lock) is really sucky. Most computers use the fn keys at the top layer and the specialty key (adjust brightness, volume, etc) as the second layer. **bleep** is HP thinking. This licks cavemen's fur diapers. Change it today!!!! it bites spider's knees. fix it cause who ever had the idea in your company to reverse it is a clown.

HP Recommended

Worked Great Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.