Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks, Luzer. None of the other suggestions worked. 

HP Recommended

Follow these steps for Windows 7:

Control panel

Devices & printers

Mouse

Device settings

Ck box...Disable internal pointing device

Done!

HP Recommended
at your service...Luzer
HP Recommended
for Luzer's method on a laptop with synapse touchpad, scroll back to message 17.
HP Recommended

Is there any keyboard shortcut for disabling the mouse pointer in the ENVY models?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello full_on,

By the "mouse pointer" do you mean the "TouchPad" on the notebook? Click on the link below as it may be able to assist you:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/How-to-disable-touchpad-when-usb-mouse-in-on-HP-ENVY-...

If you have any further questions, please reply back with the model/product number from your notebook and the operating system that the computer is running.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you soooooooooo much!!! Just got a new company laptop and accidently did this to my mouse pad.  Thoug it's 2015, it's what I was given and was looking for the anwer in Windows 7... of course, that didn't help.  AWESOME, THANK YOU!!!

HP Recommended

'Device settings' not on tab list on my mouse properties....

@drpepperulz wrote:

I promise it is not impossible. What ever operating system you are running you should be able to disable. As long as you get to the Control Panel and go to the Mouse Icon, or Mouse settings, whatever it may be called and find the tab called Device Settings and go from there. Just find any option that disables it. Follow along with my first post and the pictures I will include here that show the steps outlined.

First way to get to Control Panel

Go to Start Menu -> Search Control Panel -> Click the Result

controlpanel1.png Second Way

Go to Start Menu -> On the Sidebar there should be Control Panel -> Click that

controlpanel2.png

Next Step is to find the Mouse Settings Icon or Mouse Properties and Click the Icon

step1.png

When you click that a box will open with the Mouse Settings/Properties and from there go to the Device Settings tab... Or find settings in the main tab to turn off the Touchpad. Depends on Operating System.

step2.png

Then in the Device Settings tab change the settings to you. Or just use mine so that when you plug in an external mouse the touchpad turns off. Or do whatever.

step3.pngMake Sure to hit Apply -> Ok    And you should be good to go. Now you know where to go and is shown with a pictorial representation. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.