Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy TouchSmart 15t-j000 and I want to enter bios. When I restart the computer just the HP logo appears.

I've tried to press ESC, F1 - F12, insert, delete, home, end... Nothing works.

Do you know how I can do this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It can be tricky getting some machines with Windows 8 to enter the bios menu, but try the following.

With the machine already booted into Windows 8, hold down the Shift key and click Shutdown - this should prevent hybrid shutdown.

When the notebook has shutdown, tap f10 continuously ( about 1 tap every half second ) as soon as you press the power button and see if this enters the bios menu.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

It can be tricky getting some machines with Windows 8 to enter the bios menu, but try the following.

With the machine already booted into Windows 8, hold down the Shift key and click Shutdown - this should prevent hybrid shutdown.

When the notebook has shutdown, tap f10 continuously ( about 1 tap every half second ) as soon as you press the power button and see if this enters the bios menu.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@Marius_Paval wrote:

I have a HP Envy TouchSmart 15t-j000 and I want to enter bios. When I restart the computer just the HP logo appears.

I've tried to press ESC, F1 - F12, insert, delete, home, end... Nothing works.

Do you know how I can do this?

Thanks

Hi, Marius.

Here is how:

1. Press the Shift key as you shut down your laptop normally.

2. Wait at least 10 seconds with the laptop off.

3. Press the Power button and then immediately press the ESC key on the upper left of your keyboard, about once per second. You will soon see a Recovery screen menu that instructs you to press the F10 button to go directly to your BIOS menu.

Pressing the ESC key is easy to remember; that way, you don't have to memorize the other F button choices. Easy!

Good luck!

Regards, FasterEddie

***Please help HP Forum members by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem. Thanks!***

***Please click the “Kudos” Thumbs Up to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

My keyboard doest seem to have f1 or any function buttons only volume brightness and other video buttons where functions usually go 

HP Recommended

Hi llynne. The keys with the brightness and volume along the top are usually dual function keys. If you press the special key with the 'Fn' key down it will do the F# functions (depending on how it is set in the BIOS).

See "Using the action keys" on Page 38, which shows a fairly standard layout.
User Guide - Windows 8 (Envy TouchSmart 15t-j000):
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03735710.pdf

If you this is not your model and you need further assistance, I will need to know what the model number of your notebook is.
<How Do I Find My Notebook Model Number>: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks twopoint oh, I will go and check that. I will find it pretty hard to use the function buttons, which is the special key, is it the one with winows logo or fn?

I love computers but each one is so different

HP Recommended

this did it.  If only the HP support page was this up to date.  Thanks for the tip.

HP Recommended

Thanks TwoPointsOh

This worked for me...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.