Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi just got hp envy 17 model 7255dx,but i was using different dv7 before new one,and i had ssd hard drive which i just wanted to format from the scratch because of different hardware on previous mashine,so i have now only ssd hard drive installed and i install trial win 8 in order to activate later so there is no sticker with the product key any more on the back of the laptop,i read someware that key is in bios so how i can find he key?

edit: i tried belarc advisor and he gave me the product key but when i type in order to activate the windows i get a message  the product key you entered appears to be default product key and cant be used to activate this edition of windows please enter different key

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Cnet is usually a reputable source.

Review this article.

It would seem the product key is there, but it is encrypted meaning it's not in plain text for us to view directly in BIOS. Sorry. 😞

By chance, did you make the recovery disks/USB key before taking the original hard drive out?

Do you still have the original hard drive with it's operational Windows 8?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
No unfortunatly,original hdd is wiped,so i cant do anything right
HP Recommended
In that case, you could try ordering the recovery disks. .

However, I can't guarantee they will work with the SSD. It's been a hit or miss for some users.

The only other option I'm aware of would be to purchase a retail copy of Windows 8 instead of a trial.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
Ok i allready activated with pirate activator works great, thanks hp and all other brands for removing the sticker now you forced me to use a pirate version thank you
HP Recommended
I am sorry that you feel that you were forced into that particular scenario.

I, as well as others, highly recommend making a set of recovery disks before making any modifications to a system.

Another option would have been to use a program like CloneZilla to copy the HDD to the SSD.

As a final resort, there is also the option of ordering the recovery disks as mentioned previously.

There were other options.
Signature
HP Recommended
Maybe it is a little late, but I will try to help.

On the Windos 8 the product key seems to be embedded in the BIOS/UEFI.

I managed to find mine with the program Belarc Advisor. It generats a relatory listing every little aspect of you computer, including serial numbers and the Windos product key.

http://www.belarc.com/
HP Recommended

Same here seems to be when you upgrade the windows 8.1 and then have a problem and reinstall from the hp disk, getting the error code 0xC004C003,  the activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked. Microsoft cannot un block it or help without knowing the  key which is encrypted in the system bios. So a call to hp is needed, we have the right to know and have the  key we have paid for it so demand it. Like I going to do , at least 1 hr with Microsoft phone and remote and the same with hp.

HP Recommended

Already tried that product and did not get a valid key:smileysad:

Tried another product as well and same result.

Will be calling HP soon about this issue.

HP Recommended

Well hp is no help at all I was on the phone with Microsoft and hp had both remotely hook up to my laptop to no avail, and had several chats with hp and Microsoft support on line. Support runs on a script and if your issue is not on that scrip they are reading from good luck!  Here is what happened with my laptop, Product name: HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC, Product number: E4S14UA#ABA, Serial number: {Private Information Removed} windows preinstalled. I updated to windows pro to get media center and worked fine, and reformatted with the disk I ordered from hp and worked fine 2 times. Went and up dated to windows 8.1 and I did not like it could not uninstall it so I reformatted with the hp disk once more, well then the lap top would not activate  and to find out the key was blocked by Microsoft, called Microsoft once more and they said they block keys once in a while, and then they give new keys to people who purchase a key from them, and that I needed to get one from my pc manufacture which is hp. In the numerous chats emails ect. hp could not understand that concept, and was down to repeating themselves in chat, copying what they just typed and pasting it in the chat box lol I do not know if they were not thinking or that's all they had.  When hp had started to copy and paste  repeat text in chat I told them I was done stick me with a fork and ended the chat. The reply person sent an email saying I would have to send my laptop in and they would have to take it apart and work on the system board for a key just a key. So I saved them money on shipping and tech support, I paid 119.99 I think it was may been 119.00 and send hp several notices to pay, I will try a few more times I have the address to their billing in CA  and will send a few there. If I get no place I will take them to small claims court, and if hp wants to pay someone to show up and loose for 119.00 then great. With the new key laptop works fine. Good luck with hp lol.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.