Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15AH
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Sirs,

I have tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 12.04.5 on my Windows 10 (pre-installed) HP Envy 15AH.

Even if I try to run the LiveCD, the LiveCD's hang, and the installed Ubuntu crashes or hangs.

I have also tried a LIveCD of Fedora, and the same things happen.

I have checked that Ubuntu should be suitable for UEFI installation, and I cannot see why even the LiveCDs hang.

How can I get an good installation of (ideally 12.04.5) to work on the laptop?

I contacted the company I bought the laptop from - having paid extra for support - and they said I should ask you!

Many thanks for your help.

Yours faithfully,

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

DingySailor

Installing Ubuntu on a recent laptop, especially one with UEFI, is a difficult process.  See this link for information:  UEFI Installing - Tips

You would actually do much better if you posted this problem to the Ubuntu Forums, as there are folks there that deal with this issue on a regular basis and can offer detailed help:  Ubuntu Forums

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Dear WAWood,

Many thanks for your help.

Before I sought the help of HP, I had searched online, including the Ubuntu forums, and logged an appeal for help on the forum without success.

Most of the articles I have read indicate that the install fails. I think I have a more basic issue, as Ubuntu 12.04.5, Ubuntu 16.04 and Fedora all fail to run from the LiveCD (but I could get one of the Ubuntu flavours to work in a Virtual Machine).

I think if there were a solution for why the LiveCDs don't run, then I suspect that I should be able to install the OS (or else maybe get further!).

All the suggestions regarding UEFI I have found so far seem to have been addressed before I tried to perform an installation!

As on this forum I found a number of requests for help regarding flavours of Ubuntu in Dual Boots, I felt it was appropriate to add this to the list of questions.

If there are other suggestions for how to succeed with the dual boot, I would be most grateful!

Many thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,

HP Recommended

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and product number (p/n) of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom of your computer, inside the battery compartment or on the startup BIOS screen. Please see How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for more assistance locating this information. DO NOT include your serial number.

hp label.png

You may need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the BIOS before attemping to install Ubuntu.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Dear lasvegaswireman,

Thank you for the reply.

The information is:-

"HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ah150na (ENERGY STAR)

Model #: N7H24EA
Serial #: (removed content)"

Does that help?

Kind Regards,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.