Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The bin number needs to match the motherboard number, try naming the bin to some of the other platform names

PlatformName2=3636
PlatformName3=3637
PlatformName4=3638
PlatformName5=3639
PlatformName6=363A

HP Recommended

Thanks, MumboDog.

I tried the newest FD file and renamed it each one of the other iterations, one at a time.  3635.BIN, 3636.BIN and so on.   All failed.

I checked the Motherboard part number under the RAM stick.  It matches the motherboards that are for sale for this model.   Just for kicks, I looked at another model that uses the motherboard, but it is the same BIOS file.  

There is a sticker under the battery with 3635 on it.

And I ran the latest BIOS through with Andy's Tool (phoenixtool196.exe) 3635F13.fd.   It said that the recovery filenames are:   A.BIN   No file directory like other BIN files that I unpacked and read.   Just A.BIN.

I found another user talking about looking in the dump and using a hex editor to look at a specific ROM file in the DUMP directory.   I did that and the name of the BIN files are the same as the ones that we've looked at.  

Help?

HP Recommended

try putting the bin file on the root of the flash drive.

I also saw this statement

"Assuming the Boot Block is not corrupted, the BIOS should automatically identifiy the key and re-flash the BIOS"

HP Recommended

Alright, we've made some progress but didn't get anywhere.    

Forget about the Hewlett-Packard directory.   Just put the 3635.BIN file in the root of the USB flash drive.  But here's the kicker.  I was sleepy and I held down the Win+B key combo for about fifteen seconds.  The laptop started to beep several times (5, actually).   And then it started to use the flash drive.   Every five seconds or so, it would beep again for a total of six times.  Then the drive stopped.  I let it run for about five minutes but there was no change in the laptop.   So I rebooted.

And we are still where we started.

Now a couple of  win+B cycles, I've had LOADS of files on this.   All six different bin files, with versions named BIN ROM and FD.  I had complete sets loaded in every directory and on the root.   THAT time (and three times later) I got the screen to light up and show a blue box with the word Flashing and a percentage that climbed to 100%   Then it said SHUTDOWN and the computer rebooted.     It looked a lot like the BIOS password prompt in shape and color.

However in all of this, I have never had the BIOS come up on a normal boot.  Just back to the flashing lights that I described in my first post in this thread.

I've also tried this with a CDROM.  That was a total failure.  It would power, spin up the CD and then die with the lights fading away like I've never seen.

Anyways, I'm going to say that I've flashed this pos laptop about fifteen times and I've never got a good boot.  It's parts.

The ONLY thing that gives me a wonder is that pheonixtools196.exe doesn't give a FULL PATH to the recovery name.   Just "A.BIN".   Which does not work.   And all four BIOS that are on the HP website give the same result.    Other BIOS files give a correct path.  Huh.

Hopefully someone else will get this hold-the-win+b-buttons-down-for-a-while hint.   Good luck all.

HP Recommended

I think you have hardware issues with the motherboard, sounds like it installed the bios, but something else is wrong.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem with my laptop. Mine is a g6-1180sa. I bought it in Dublin Ireland.

Today I restarted the pc and when booting became crazy and woulnt recognize anything.

I found the bios files in the websige but there no signature file. COul you please help me?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hello, I own a HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx, and can't find this particular model in the HP Sofpaq Download Manager...is the sofpaq download manager the only place to find the sofpaq in order to retrieve the respective .bin, .sig files and softpaq number?

I am slightly familar with the subtle diffrences between the HP System Diagnostics UEFI , and the HP UEFI SE's roles in restoreing BIOS, just going via the "BIOS management using system diagnostics" walkthrough.

edit: ^the SP's or sofpaqs were already available on HP's drivers and support page... I had these since the beginning, never knew the vocab: SP=sofpaq, as in sp52999999999etc...

HP Recommended

Just a quick followup, yeah, you were right.   The motherboard is JACKED.   It has been parted out and now lives on in others' laptops.   🙂   Still, it was very cool to learn this.   Thanks!

HP Recommended

Just 2 month out of warranty, my 6135dx cant boot with CAPS lock blinking. I sent it in for BSODs during warranty and the HP representive indicate it was a CPU related problem but ultimately they only change the harddrive. It come back fine but didn't know the machine just not working in 3 months after repair.

Tried every method with USB and cant seem to help, I actually backup'd the HP_TOOLS to a USB thumbdrive think I may need it one day.

HP Recommended

I am sorry to hear about your product not functioning.   Please contact HP to have it repaired again.  If it is not repaired correclty, send me a private message.

Copying HP_TOOLS is not a bad idea.  We also provide an option to create a USB key from the HP Support Environment download.   This enables you to access the HP tools by using the ESC-F2 System Diagnostics option in your startup menu.   Just plug in the USB key before booting and pressing ESC.  

When backing up HP_TOOLS, name the USB key "HP_TOOLS" and copy the Hewlett-Packard folder to the key.  This is enable the BIOS to automatically recognize the key and launch the tools from the key.

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.