Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 6460b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody!

I was wondering, why HP doesn't tell to the users (or easily guide them) that Hp ProtectTools Security Manager has been rebranded and replaced by HP Client Security Manager ?

I'm using an HP Probook 6460b under windows 7 x64, I had to do some research to find the last version of this software. Even on the product page (history tab) they don't mention the latest version of this Security Manager software. Same for the drivers, for exemple, the Fingerprint Driver is very old on my product page and I could find a new one somewhere on the website and it still work very fine ! They just rebranded from "Validity Fingerprint Driver" to "Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver".

There is a usefull tab on each software/driver page called "History" where you can fallow the different versions. Why they don't use it to mention the newest version even if it's rebranded?
In case the newest doesn't work for some reasons, we can download and install the previous version.

After these updates I believe my laptop is fully compatible with Windows 10. I'm an IT expert, that's why I could do that but for people who are not, they just gonna lose some functions when they migrate to windows 10.

So what the point? Changing computer and keep Wasting Earth ressources?

So I suggest to HP to be greener and care on that, just by adding a link to the latest version and mention "There is a new version of this software/driver. It hasn't been approuved to work with your product. Use it at your own risk"

Green and efficient Regards,

JG

EDIT 30/05/2016: Update link to HP Client Security Manager

Julien Garrigue
www.juliengarrigue.com
25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

You're absolutely right. It is a nigntmare to find the last versions of drivers. HP quicly forgets a product and don't post new drivers for it.

In my case I didn't yet resolved my problems to update to Windows 10.

I am completely stuck with two Elitebook notebooks, running Windows 7 Pro Sp1 64 bits, that I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro:

A 8540w workstation, model WD929EA#AB9 and a 8560w, model LG660EA#AB9.

HP ProtectTools won't le me upgrade.

I googled it and posted in HP Forum, but with no success, please see:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Sy​stems-and-Software/Removal-Uninstall-HP-ProtectTo...

Now I upgraded my HP ProtectTools to HP Client Security and receive a message that says that I must uninstall both in order to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.

In the Forum, I have been advised to not uninstall Embedded Security, so I can't upgrade.

The Client Security is giving me a lot of errors with Digital Persona logging in web sites with biometric function.

Can you please help me to sort this out?

Thanking you very much,

Jorge Martins

P.S. Some images of the problem:

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 02.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 03.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 04.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 05.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 01.jpg

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Some pictures of the issue:

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 02.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 03.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 04.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 05.jpg

Windows 10_HP ProtectTools 01.jpg

HP Recommended

Julien Garrigue
www.juliengarrigue.com
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Sorry, I did not understand the answer. There is a more current driver named HP Client Security Manager to replace the HP Protect Tools. If you install HP Client, the HP Protect Tols driver will be maintained?

HP Recommended

The correct beahvior is when you install HP Client Security it will substitute HP ProtectTools, but unfortunately this isn't universal.

HP Recommended

For whom it may concern,

I have been posting this issue because of the problems I have been facing trying to update one of my notebooks, a EliteBook 8560w.

In my other notebook, a EliteBook 8540w, a little bit older than the other one, I had reserved the Windows 10 upgrade and waited for the update to come naturally.

Yesterday in Windows Update, there was a message to shut down the notebook to install an update.

I have done this and it installed Windows 10 Pro. The good thing is that I had installed HP ProtectTools and all the security plug-ins!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.