Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Here is the first paragraph in Wikipedia on the fn key. "Fn, or 'Function', is a modifier key on many keyboards, especially on laptops, used in a compact layout to combine keys which are usually kept separate. It is typically found on laptops, since a full-sized keyboard would be difficult to fit in a laptop chassis. It is also found in many full-sized 'multimedia' and 'office' keyboards, named F-Lock key. It is mainly for the purpose of changing display or audio settings quickly, such as brightness, contrast, or volume, and is held down in conjunction with the appropriate key to change the settings." 

You see that here also I says you hit the fn key to access display or audio settings. However on my Envy, I dont have hit the fn key first.

HP Recommended

I found another statement on the internet on the fn key (also called f-lock) "The F Lock key is a hardware switch in the keyboard. Its state cannot be controlled programmatically. Its default condition is "off".

How do I get my Envy back to the default position of off?

HP Recommended

Did my clarifications help you understand what my problem is?

HP Recommended

As I said before BIOS holds the key to determining the function of the key.

Go into the BIOS and see if you can set the action keys function.

regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

See "FN + F5 Question" for the answer. There is a BIOS setting to fix this.

HP Recommended

I found this works at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/134495-Cant-use-my-F-keys-without-pressing-fn

1. Press the power button to turn your computer on
2. Press F10 key to enter BIOS setup screen
3. Use the left right arrow keys to navigate to “System Configuration”
4. Use the up down arrow keys to navigate to the “action keys Mode”
5. Press “Enter” to open the Enabled / Disabled menu
6. Use up down arrow keys to select “Disable”
7. Press the F10 key
8. Use arrow keys to select “Yes”
9. Press “Enter” to save changes and start windows

Now the F1 through F12 keys should all work as they should with just a single press without the fn key.

HP Recommended

Finally, the right answer! Awesome. Thank you.

HP Recommended
At what point do I press f10? Seriously, I have seen like ten people telling others that this is the fix, but at no point do they tell them when to press f10. I pressed, tapped, mashed, and held f10 with and without the fn key depressed between pressing the power button and the desktop loading (windows 8, that is) and nothing has happened. at all. please help.
HP Recommended

This did not work for me. I checked the BIOS and it was set to enable yet when I go to IE, i have to use the fn key + the f5 key to have it work.

HP Recommended

Hey wassup guys ive been trying to solve this problem for a while. and i finally did. i found out different hp computers are different. my computer is a windows 8.1 (beats audio if you have the same problem). all the solutions said that i should restart my computer an click f10, f11 , f2 on startup. With the type of hp computer i have this dosent work. The way you have to fix your fkeys to your liking is click the windows key along with (c).(the letter on the keyboard) then click settings in the bottom right., itll be a giant gear. now click the power symbol that pops up then 3 options should appear click shift along with restart an this will restart your computer an bring you to a page where you can do many actions for you pc. but click on advanced settings, then click the next button which description is ufim keys or something similar, then it will say restart to get to the system (???) menu. yeaaa after that lmaooo just follow the directions that they say to follow once you get to this menu (lmaoo sorry i dont rember the next steps that good, but if you had similiar problems like i did this should be all the help you need.  woord i hope this helps out ive been trying to fix this problem for a whiiilleeeee im so relived i did. Also if anyone has any questions or needs help feel free to message me with a reply and ill gladly help you out and answer questions,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.