Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion dm4-2070us computer running Windows 7.  I have the same problem with internet explorer and with Firefox.  The file seems to download but never finishes; it is not in my downloads folder. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello number1stat,

try to temporarily disable your antivirus software and see if that helps, if it does not work then try the following.

This can occur if you have customized your Internet Options Security settings for the Internet zone, if the option, "Launching applications and unsafe files" is set to "Disable".

Method 1: Reset your Security settings for the Internet zone to the default level. Go to "Control Panel -> Internet Options" (or use "Start -> Run -> inetcpl.cpl -> OK" to open "Internet Properties") then click the Security tab, select the Internet zone and click "Default level"

Method 2: Set a custom level for security in the Internet zone. Go to "Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security (tab) -> Internet". If security is set to "High", or if you have customized the Internet zone settings, select "Custom level..." and change the single option, "Launching Applications and Unsafe Files" from 'Disable' to 'Prompt (recommended)'.

If executable file downloads fail from certain sites but you are able to download exe files from other sites, check in "Internet Options -> Security - > Restricted sites -> Sites" to make sure that the problem site is not in the "Restricted sites" list, as the security level for that zone is High by default. Some Security software, including Spybot S&D, add known malware sites to that listing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello number1stat,

try to temporarily disable your antivirus software and see if that helps, if it does not work then try the following.

This can occur if you have customized your Internet Options Security settings for the Internet zone, if the option, "Launching applications and unsafe files" is set to "Disable".

Method 1: Reset your Security settings for the Internet zone to the default level. Go to "Control Panel -> Internet Options" (or use "Start -> Run -> inetcpl.cpl -> OK" to open "Internet Properties") then click the Security tab, select the Internet zone and click "Default level"

Method 2: Set a custom level for security in the Internet zone. Go to "Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security (tab) -> Internet". If security is set to "High", or if you have customized the Internet zone settings, select "Custom level..." and change the single option, "Launching Applications and Unsafe Files" from 'Disable' to 'Prompt (recommended)'.

If executable file downloads fail from certain sites but you are able to download exe files from other sites, check in "Internet Options -> Security - > Restricted sites -> Sites" to make sure that the problem site is not in the "Restricted sites" list, as the security level for that zone is High by default. Some Security software, including Spybot S&D, add known malware sites to that listing.

HP Recommended

Method 1 did not work even though that is what I use on my other HP computer (an HP dm4-2070us) without any problems.  Using Method 2 Custom settings and changing launching applications and unsafe files from Disable to Prompt (recommended) solved the problem.  Thanks, you are a genius.

HP Recommended
I have the same problem, but these did not help, whenever I try to download a .exe it turns into a .jar or .zip
HP Recommended

hello my computer is TOSHIBA  pls help for search EXE to download EXE and chat JAVAEXE pls help 

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.