Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion

System is asking for a password to startup, never had that happen before, I allowed someone to access my computer , scam, now I'm locked out

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Putty318

So the screen looks like this???

original[1].jpg

REO

HP Recommended

REO, I'm trying to help someone with this same problem. Win8.1, no recovery disk, no luck. Got anything? Thanks, Jet

HP Recommended

@JRJet

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are unable to login to windows. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

• If the computer did not boot to windows and asking for BIOS password.
  • You need to contact HP Phone support for assistance on this.
  • If it booting into windows and asking for windows login password.
  • Click here and follow the steps mentioned in troubleshooter to fix the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response Sandy, but its not the BIOS or Windows pw. The person got hacked, ie called a number on the screen and talked with someone that tried to get them to send money to unlock. Luckily, I had another computer, same model, that I used the recovery disks. Luckily there were no critical files, so I restored it to factory default. Cheers, JRJet.

HP Recommended

@JRJet

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know that issue resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.