Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

IT_WinSec Associate Dean

Thanks for getting me on the road to creating a bootable USB device with Rufus. I downloaded the Rufus open source writing tool from File Hippo website, and I downloaded Ubuntu 16.04.2 Desktop amd64.iso 1.4gb from https://releases.ubuntu.com.  I used Rufus to install Ubuntu to a Kingston Data Traveler 3.0 USB 60gb Device.  When the install finished it said, “Congratulations! You now have Ubuntu on a USB stick bootable and ready to go.”  :generic:

I plugged the stick into an Elitebook 8460p, pressed the Start button and a Welcome screen appeared which said, “Try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer directly,” I clicked Try Ubuntu and the Ubuntu Desktop appeared.  :generic:

How should I download Windows 7 64-bit and install it using Ubuntu? 

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
Select graphical install option.
To switch options use arrow keys or use specified function keys which may be located at bottom of the screen
HP Recommended

@pritam2015 wrote:
Select graphical install option.

There is no graphical install option.  :indifferent:  There are two options: Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu.  Either way I dont have acces to the Internet :smileyindifferent:

What if

1.  I downloaded a Windows 7 installation file before loading Ubuntu.  
  2.  after booting from the Ubuntu instalation USB FD I selected Try Ubuntu (load it into memory).  
  3. Can I access Windows 7 Installation file on the same Fash Drive as used to load Ununtu into memory?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, no windows don't allow you live feature like Linux.

You can install windows 7 using Rufus 🙂

Click here to download windows 7 ISO 🙂

I hope this worked for you 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @kcav

You do not need to use or download Ubuntu at all. The instructions are from the Ubuntu website but there are for reference only. You need to use the Windows 7 ISO file instead of the Ubuntu one. Use Rufus to write the Win 7 ISO file to the USB

Do not download the Win 7 ISO file from the Microsoft website directly as posted above by @pritam2015 because these ISO images there are for FPP (retail) Windows version and are not applicable for the OEM Windows versions. You need OEM with the COA sticker of Windows.

You can use this free utility :

>> https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows%20ISO%20Downloader.exe

>> https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

The tool will download ISO images from Microsoft and has lots of options for many Windows versions including OEM. If you use it, be careful to select the correct Windows ISO for the OEM (COEM), x86 or x64 edition, Home/Pro/Ultimate, etc... based on the Windows edition and info from the COA sticker

heidoc.png

When download completes, you will need to write or "burn" the ISO image and boot from a bootable media.

You already know how to use Rufus, just select the Windows 7 ISO image!

When ready with the USB drive:

Please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive prepared previously

Power  on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately start hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Open from the

Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows (new installation - custom, not upgrade)

Delete all existing partitions and install Windows on a clean Disk 0 Unallocated space

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
  1. Download Windows 7 64-bit ISO from  https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows%20ISO%20Downloader.exe 
  2. used Rufus to write the Win 7 ISO file to a bootable USB drive
  3. inserted the USB  in HP8460p pressed the Start button
  4.  pressed F9 Key to load Boot Device Menu
  5. selected Flash Drive and Windows 7 Installation started
  6. then it asked for drivers.  What should I do?

KCav

HP Recommended

1. selected Flash Drive and Windows 7 Installation started
  2. then it asked for drivers.  What should I do?

KCav

Hi,

Could you elaborate on when exactly it stopped ? Or did it stop actually ?

When you select the USB flash drive, usually it will start loading and then it will end up with this (screen is for W10 but is similar in Win 7):

1.PNG

Then, after selecting the language, type of installation,etc you should end up here:

4.PNG

Does it detect your hard disk drive ? Does it detect any discs/drives  here, do you have something similar, like Drive 0, Drive 1, etc... ?

If you managed to pass this screen, next one is installing Windows / installation itself ....

5.PNG

Would you tell me where you encounter issues ? Is it possible for you to take pictures of the process using camera/smartphone ? Can you attach them here as attachments or could you upload them somewhere (like in your OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc...) 

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

When I select the USB flash drive, it starts loading and then it ends up with this screen

install 11.jpginstall 13.jpg

Then, after clicking Next I end up here:

install 22.jpg

After clicking OK I end up here

Install 32.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi.

Sorry for being late with my reply.

Honestly, this is very rare and strange error. Up until today I have encountered it only once before.

As per the official Microsoft article, here are the possible reasons >> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2755139/-a-media-driver-your-computer-needs-is-missing-or-a...

and solutions.

You may also see this suggestion from the Microsoft forum >> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/a-required-cddvd-device-driver-...

1. Try the suggestion from the Microsoft forum

If it does not work proceed with these (try them one by one)

2. Re-download the Windows installer and re-create it with Rufus

3. If it fails again, try using this MS tool instead of Rufus >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

4. Load BIOS (Esc/F10) and ensure your BIOS settings are set to default

HP Recommended

Hi  IT_WinSec Associate Dean,

Here is what I dis since last message:

1. Reset BIOS to Defaults 
  2. Ran Diags - everyting OK
  3. Reformated Flash Drive
  4. ran Rufux again to make new bootable USB drive
  5. booted from  new  bootable USB
  6. the installation procedure asked for drivers, 
  7. downloaded drivers to folder on USB drive
  8. booted from USB
  9. Windows 7 Installation program starts but instead of installing Windows it askes for drivers 

KC

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.