Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. 

Need some help installing Windows 7 x64 enterprise in a EliteBook 840 G3 . The installation disc is not recognizing the internal HDD (in the bios is recognized without problems). I´ve tried to attach the AHCI drivers for intel chipset in the installation disc trhougt Windows AIK. But the hdd is still not recognized. 

Has anyone had the same problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Intel removed USB 2.0 chipset support from the Skylake chipset. 

This means that that normal USB or DVD installs for windows 7 will not work.   

The Microsoft Windows 7 ISO doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers either.  

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows ISO.    Intel came through on this one.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run the above utility and point to your USB Installation media and windows 7 should install.

There is a readme on the above link for instructions on how to convert your DVD into a bootable usb installation flash drive.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Intel removed USB 2.0 chipset support from the Skylake chipset. 

This means that that normal USB or DVD installs for windows 7 will not work.   

The Microsoft Windows 7 ISO doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers either.  

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows ISO.    Intel came through on this one.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run the above utility and point to your USB Installation media and windows 7 should install.

There is a readme on the above link for instructions on how to convert your DVD into a bootable usb installation flash drive.

HP Recommended

thnx for the answer. But, i think, the problem is the detection of the internal HDD, not the detection of the USB device.  I mean, i can run the installation process. But the installation process is not detecting the hard drive. The USB 3.0 controller has something to do here?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can read through this post where I tried the more conventional methods to help the person, and the conventional methods were not the answer.

He is the hero in this discovery...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Elitebook-840-G3-can-t-install-W...

HP Recommended

hehe.. finally.. it worked. Youre right with the USB drivers. after preparing the ISO with the USB 3.0 Driver. The installer worked like a charm.

Thanks you !!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi

while trying to install windows 7 professional on HP elite book 840 g3 I getting whe following message: "windows could not configure one or more system component .to install windows restart the computer..."

the installation recognize the hdd and completed the first part. After the restart on the "finish up" part the above message is appear.

i've tried few things:

To Integrate to the installation(install.wim file by dism and nlite) the drivers: usb3, network,chipset.

integrate Microsoft hot fix : kernel-mode driver framework.

and few more things but nothing works...i'm pretty much stuck now...

the same installation work perfectly on other platforms, it failed only on hp...also hp 800 

please advise

HP Recommended

I finally managed to solve this.

I left the Bios set as UEFI, boot from USB key, started the installation normally.

On the first installation boot, I set the Bios as Legacy enabled, then the installation continued.

On the last installation boot I returned the Bios to UEFI.

My Windows 7 installation was successfully concluded.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.