Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi gooserocksrick,

Well you have a different platform from Martin, you can have similar symptoms with different root causes but its always best to start with the basics.

Your BIOS version is newer than the one on HP.com, this can happen when they put a newer one on at the factory but it takes time to get it into a Softpaq.

Are you talking about the integrated microphone, not an external one like a USB one?

When did the issue begin?

If it was recently you might want to try running a system restore (it will not wipe out all your data) to a date before the issue began.

Here is a link if you're not familiar with it.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00807369

Just look at the section called "Using the System Restore wizard to return the computer to a previous restore point"

BTW if you're using HDMI then the document link I gave to Martin would apply to your unit as well.

I think that's enough for now.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
HP Recommended

My problem started approximately two weeks after I had bought the PC. I had been using the microphone quite a bit during that time, playing Men of War with a few of my friends online.

I tried downloading and installing updates for both BIOS and sound, but there is no immediate effect on my problem, except that the Dolby Home Theater v4 sound controller on my computer stopped working..

I'm thinking that maybe I should hand my laptop over to the guys I bought it from, and have it fixed. The warranty still covers it, after all..

Still though, I'd prefer not having to part with it for the time it would take to fix it. Any new suggestions?

Also, the IDT driver in the link is outdated, the one my PC came with is of a newer build, and when I reinstalled that through the HP Recovery Manager, my Dolby thing started working again.

Sincerely

Martin

HP Recommended

Hi Martin, the only steps I would recommend prior to having your unit looked at as a potential repair would be first to see if you have a System restore point prior to you getting the issue, I put a link to how to do that in my reply to the person with the DM4 in this thread, after that is the data destructive path of running a Recovery back to factory state,

You need to have all data backed up first as it wipes out everything you did since you took it out of the box.

You can run that from F11 recovery Mgr, or from user created recovery if you created that, or from HP factory discs.

F11 Recovery Mgr is the fastest way.

This still leaves the unit in your hands and is the final troubleshooting step to rule out it being a Software issue.

If that does not resolve it you need to have it serviced.

If you need any better descriptions on how to run a System restore or a Recovery please let me know.

Thanks for trying the different steps I've posted and giving us the information we asked for.

Good luck Martin.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
HP Recommended

That same problem just happened to me, got it for Mother's Day, done one video with sound then the rest.......nothing! I honestly need help with this!

HP Recommended

I am Too having this problem. It seems that it is a very common issue in DV6 models and for me it has been happening twice. I am really frustruated. as it has gone for the 3rd time and now i need to again spend time to goto support centre. From their feedback thy say that it is because the integrated mic and webcam same wire and it becomes loose. Please help me if it can do something by my self or any permananet solution

HP Recommended

I apologize because I don't think that I ever reported back on this. I wound up bringing my laptop to the Best Buy Geek Squad. They confirmed that my microphone was not working and offered me two solutions. Send the laptop to HP fors service and be without for a couple of weeks, or buy a headset/microphone for about $20. I spent the $20 and have been happy ever since. It bugs me that the microphone failed under warranty, but it's not worth having no laptop for two weeks.

HP Recommended

excuse me i am also having the same problem on my hp dv6 product number: A6n87ea#a2n and also i am having the same problem on my hp true vision camera

HP Recommended

my recording sound level (microphone) has a lot of static - people say it sounds like thunder or wind.  I have the pavilion dm4 and am running windows 7, is there any way to fix it?

HP Recommended

bought two identical hp ENVY m6 - sleekbook with Windows 8.

Microphone array on one is not working - how can i fix this [drivers are up to date]

HP Recommended

I'm sorry you're having problems with your microphone. I'd suggest contacting HP Support: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.