Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convert. 13t-4100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I have my new computer with Windows run on a Windows 7 operating system?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LKlatt

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I'm not going to say it's impossible -- but it is highly unlikely it will work.

In new HP Win10 machines, the hardware is new and, as a result, there are no HP Win7 or Win8 drivers for that hardware.

If you force a downgrade to an older OS version, the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality in laptops is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in laptops. Without the HP drivers, one or more of the hardware components is not going to work properly. That can result in problems ranging from malfunctioning switchables graphics, to no WiFi, to no sound, and other such driver-related issues.

Also, understand that a new PC coming with Win10 preinstalled has no Win7 license rights. So, you will have to PURCHASE a Win7 license in order to activate your copy after installation -- and that's going to run around $100 USD minimum.

So basicaly, it's your PC and you are free to do what you want with it -- but personally, I would advise against doing the dowgrade to Win7.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.