Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion g6 2231 tx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
Right now I am using HP Pavilion G6 2231 TX. I replaced my old hard drive(500gb Hitachi) by a new Western Digital 1TB hard drive. When I power on fast message whatever I getting is that boot device not found please install an operating system on the hard disk.Hard disk (3F0). After that I put the recovery drive cd in cd drive and power off and then turn on my laptop again and it automatically​ open the recovery manager and where I select system recovery and continue the process. After loading all data from all disks into new Hard disk, software installation page open and it continue its process, at this time there are many automatic rebooting is required but after its fast reboot my hole system goes into its first position position I am getting same massage "boot device not found please install an operating system on hard disc". Now how can I install the OS? Please help me. I have completed the quick and extensive test of new hard disk,all are ok.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @TapasG

Thank you for posting.

You get this message because your PC tries to boot from something which has no operating system (properly) installed. You need to enter the BIOS and configure:

- disable Secure Boot

- enable Legacy Mode

- configure boot options in Legacy mode so that Hard Disk Drive boot is first, Internal CD ROM/DVD is second, etc...

details >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

In order to enter the BIOS, keep and hit continuesly F10 as soon as you press the power on button (tap-tap-tap)

In order to boot from a the recovery DVD disc(s), use the F9 option and select the DVD once.

Hope this works for your. Provide your feedback and let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Sorry sir it's not working. I have done secure boot disable,used F9 option and select the DVD once also, but I haven't find Legacy Mode or similar option to enable it in my F.26 version BIOS. One important information I want to share with you that in system configuration tab in BIOS I haven't find any information about my hard disk. What do you think this one is normal or not?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't think you have a HDD issue - based on your initial description I see you manage to apply the data there. Also, if you hit F9 and there you should be able to see all devices BIOS boot menu can recognize - if you can see HDD listed ther you have no problem with the HDD. Additionally, I see you mention new HDD. 3F0 message appears when there is corrupted HDD, no HDD

or when there is no bootable media (if no OS appears in the HDD, too).

I suggest you get into BIOS again, try to configure the boot order so that your first boot order is :

-1-  HDD

-2-  internal CD/DVD

others...

Basically, you need to boot once from CD/DVD (using F9) and after reboots it no longer needs to boot again from CD/DVD , second and next boots should be from HDD, so if you configure the boot order properly, the process should not restart after initial F9 once.

Hope this helps.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
In my boot order the options are-
1. os boot manger
2.internal cd/dvd rom drive
3.usb diskette on key / usb Hard disk
4. USB CD /DVD rom drive
5. Network adaptor
No internal hdd option. Is the sequence is ok or any change required?
HP Recommended

Well, there is no HDD because it doesn't detect the HDD or due to the Secure Boot/Legacy mode.

OK, try these:

- first -

instead of pressing F9, now press F2. There you should be able to see HDD and memory (RAM) tests. Please, perform them both, especially the HDD test. Let me know the results.

-second-

press F9 and let me know which options you see - list them all

-third-

Could you open the BIOS again and after disabling Secure Boot, can you double/triple check all BIOS options again ? If possible can you take a few pictures and post them back here (or upload them to Google Drive/One Drive/DropBox, etc...) and give me links to see. I don't have this PC model with me but I use HP online simulator for BIOS and in this simulator I don't see even Secure Boot options available *but* there must be ones available because of everything you describe.

Looking forward to your clarifications and updates

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.