Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm having a problem with my laptop (HP 6530b) locking up when I plug in the power cord.  This happens when I'm actively using the computer on battery and then plug in the power cord.  When I do that, I get two beeps and the computer freezes. Nothing else is plugged into the machine at the time.  Any thoughts on what may be causing this?  I'm also experiencing occasional BIOS errors (501) which may or may not be related.

rockinrl
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same thing. Any thoughts out there?

HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same thing. Nearly 600 people have viewed this - and nobody has a solution?

HP Recommended

That's because there is no one "solution".  It could be caused by a lot of different things.

Power management software could be causing it.  When you're running on battery and then you plug it in, power management kicks in and brightens the screen and resets the timing on the hardware as far as putting it to sleep and waking it up.  

You could try going into your power options and changing the settings so that they are the same for battery as well as ac.

Then see if it still does it.

You could have a bad power adapter.

The ac power jack on the board might have a problem.

The components on the system board that handle the switching between battery and ac power might be getting weak.

There's a lot of different things that it could be.

Did someone help you? Pay it forward. Help someone else.
NC4400, TC4400 Win 7 Ultimate, xp pro, both dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

"You could try going into your power options and changing the settings so that they are the same for battery as well as ac."

YES! I did this and have tried it several times, and it seems to be working. So simple ... Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Good job.  Always try the easy stuff first.

Did someone help you? Pay it forward. Help someone else.
NC4400, TC4400 Win 7 Ultimate, xp pro, both dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

Hi people!

I have got a simular problem:
My laptop(HP 2230s) will only boot when AC is connected(battery is dead and will not charge when AC is connected and laptop not powered on)
In bios the laptop has got no problems @ all but when windows vista starts to boot either save mode or not it freezes!
The weird thing is than when i disconnect the AC for a while it continues booting. (battery is propably charged a bit) But i can only do this for 2 sec @ MAX before battery dies. I can boot windows by connecting and disconnecting the AC continually.... But thats idiotic, the battery does not charge more than enhough for a few secconds (i guess it only charges when it is still in bios.) And with AC connected windows is frozen completely.

Thats the story. I asume it's not the AC/PS because it works fine in bios/before OS starts or begins to boot.

The laptop has got some fancy increadibly user unfriendly interface which allows you to use your mouse... Anyway i can run several system diagnostics. Most of them freeze when they are checking Memory. sometimes at 17 % some times 47%.

But what is most intresting is that the HDD check, runs and completes and says that it failed. (without explaination)

Whats the best course of action?

I want to try to instal an other OS, but i would really apreciate it if i can BACK up my files or somehow get them on an Exteral HDD.

Many thanks!

HP Recommended
Hi,

Here is a little update:

first of all i tried to boot with out battery connected. Same story: In bios it's fine.
When OS BOOTS with system restore it keeps hanging @ the screen where it searches for errors. At that point i could still cancel and reboot to start the normal way.
But when OC just starts loading it freezes up.

So my best guess is an HDD problem, either drivers or a total hdd failure.

In bios i tried an diagnostic test for the HDD, it gave the following message after completing.

"Hard disk test failed
Test 2 (comprehensive) ... error: Read failure"

My main question still is how to restore my data!?
HP Recommended

I have an HP 6530b and will not boot at all.  No Bios, POst, or anything on the screen.  the dashboard lights light up but it's like the latpop stops responding to anything other than holding the power button to kill the power.  Tried starting with and without the battery.  Same negative result.

As for those trying to backup your data, get yourself an external drive bay and plug it into a Windows 7 system.  Browse to where your data is and backit up to another media.  That's what I'm doing now to the HP 6530b, as I always do prior to making any major changes when faced with these issues.

HP Recommended

@razorray wrote:

I have an HP 6530b and will not boot at all.  No Bios, POst, or anything on the screen.  the dashboard lights light up but it's like the latpop stops responding to anything other than holding the power button to kill the power.  Tried starting with and without the battery.  Same negative result.

Did you try to connect a monitor? True the AVG connector, use an external monitor or beamer or HDMI if it has that connector.

IT could be that there is a driver problem with your laptop screen or the screen it self is broken.

Do you see the numlock switching on a few seconds after boot?

Can you please tell more about the moment it crashed?

PS. My problem is solved it was a broken AC power suply...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.