Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there, apologies if this is misplaced.

My left click button is broken, not the wire or the plastic underneath bit-- but the button itself.

It isn't cracked in half or anything, but the small bit of plastic that clips the wire into place has broken on one side. It's very small, probably just from wear and tear (although I've only had it a year-- it is a DV 6000 model).

I just use it for school, really general stuff- and have a small tablet w/ pen as an alternative-- but it's kind of a nusance and was really hoping I could just buy a replacement button somewhere. Does HP supply them? I did some google searching and only pulled up letter-key replacement.

I really don't want to be the girl with the blatantly broken, ghetto computer that is missing important buttons. 

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

To the best of my knowledge HP cannot send out just one single mouse touchpad button. If you are still in warranty and the issue is normal wear and tear (not accidental damage) then HP can have it serviced, that will take about 2 weeks. If you are out of warranty, then it would be far cheaper and less time consuming to use a USB external mouse.

The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
HP Recommended

That's a bother. I am under warrenty, and probably have some other little complaints I could call in about anyway-- but I don't have time to part with my computer until January break. I'll just have to call sometime soon, I figured that would be the case-- I just had a lofty idea that maybe there was some hidden part of the HP site where I could purchase random bits and bobs. 😛

Thanks for replying!

HP Recommended
What is the PN (Product Number) from the white tag on the bottom of your notebook?  I can probably find the part for you, but it would be at cost to you.
HP Recommended
Oh, that'd be awesome. I don't mind spending the money on it- it's just a bit of plastic, it's not a $50 internal component or something silly. P/N: GA447UA#ABA
HP Recommended
HP Parts Store - It should be under plastics/chassis...You'll probably have to call HP for the price.
HP Recommended

I know you CAN order the plactics Kit for an hp notebook, but I don't know if that part is considered user replaceable, or if replacing it would void your warranty. It might be like a keyboard...you CAN order one, but you can't install it yourself without voiding your warranty because you are dealing closly with the motherboard. If that little button just snaps on then you'd be fine, but if not, if the entire pad has to be replaced to get that button, then you might not be able to replace it yourself without compromising your warranty. I beleive the plastics kit cost about $55-$60 bucks. I don't know if the plastics kit has that specific button or not.

The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
HP Recommended
Since you can't part with it until January and the factory warranty tends to include sending the PC in for repair if it's required... have you considered taking it to a local repairshop and seeing if they can fix it for you?  I believe Best Buy is authorized to service HP computers so you wouldn't be voiding your warranty on those pieces if you took it to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry 🙂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HP Recommended
Best Buy IS an ASP (authorized Service Provider) for HP computers. I know there are SOME in-house notebook repairs they can do, but not many. That is one of the general downsides of a notebook as opposed to a desktop, they USUALY have to be sent off to have a service done. Again, if that little mouse button can be replaced by itself, just snapping on, then Best Buy CAN do it. If you have to replace the entire touchpad to get that button fixed, Best Buy will have to send it off, and in that case the user might as well do it themselves, no need for a middle-man
HP Recommended

The same problem happened to me, my left click broke...I have an Hp pavilion dv6 series, i am going to geek squad today. U should try the same

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.