Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop, and my much newer one, also HP, are both doing the most disgusting thing I've ever seen a computer do: shutting down at random. I have been trying to deal with this issue for about eight months, and, in fact, have been scheduled to send the newer laptop in under warranty. To begin with, however, I'd like to know what the heck is going on, as I hadn't realized this older laptop was suffering from the same problem until recently. Although I've had this laptop for maybe four years, this problem appears not to have existed in it until I put Windows 10 on it. Both these laptops have AMD chips and Raydeon graphics. I'll be going along with no indications that anything is wrong and then suddenly the computer will turn off. For example, I was just in a battle in a game, (doing very well with it, I might add,) and then the computer shut down in the middle of it. This game is somewhat new to me, but I have had games that I have played for 20 years or more that I've never had any problem with shutting down on a regular basis, and it's not just games - last night it shut down while I was watching John Oliver's Last Week Tonight on YouTube. Is this problem stemming from Windows 10? From, perhaps, the AMD chips? From the interaction between the two? Or maybe something more arcane, like the stupid touch pad "enhancements?" I can't believe I'm the only one this has happened to, and it is profoundly frustrating, so I hope someone knows what's going on. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @29Fred, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand your laptop is shutting down randomly.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Does your laptop shut down in BIOS too?

Try checking with a different adapter or a different wall outlet and check if it helps.

Also, try updating all the drivers on your PC to the latest version using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.