Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV7

Bare with me this may sound odd but as sure as the Earth is round this is all true....

There's a family friend of ours who's mom suddenly past away last week. The friend has now asked me if there's a way she can reset the laptop so she can get into it, her mom had fingerprint authentication activated. Unfortunately since her mom passed she no longer has the fingerprint to authenticate with.

I don't think its possible but I wanted to try anything I could to help her which is why I'm writing this here.

Thank you,

Tom

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello, @TomNJ74 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for joining the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

Sorry to hear about your friend's situation. There is a way to reset the machine, but let me remind you that the data stored on the PC may not be saved.

What we can do is help your friend to perform a system recovery. This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. All you save files will be lost and your computer will be formatted to the day you purchased the machine.

If the OS is Windows 7, got to http://hp.care/2ekILYP and follow the steps under “Steps to follow for Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot) OR when unable to boot to login in screen”

Windows 8: http://hp.care/2c7wZSQ (Try Minimized image recovery from the recovery screen)

Windows 10: http://hp.care/2dW3S5w (Follow steps under “Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly”)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The benefit of an user to user discussion forum, we can provide 3rd party info that an official HP support agent can't provide.  Google live boot CD/usb.  You'll find various links to download a bootable version of Windows/Linux with various troubleshooting tools included.  Almost all of them include password reset applications.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.