Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY 15 ae065sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

I'm in quite a tricky situation as I updated my laptop to Windows 10 yesterday and when I tried to log in again this morning using my fingerprint, it did not recognise it and after 3 attempts it locked me out!

I have never used a password to log into my PC and ever since I bought it 5 months ago I only used the fingerprint option to log in. However now it keeps asking me for a password but I never created one to start with. Since I never had a password, I never had a password recovery USB either.

Please help me resolve this issue!!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If you use a Microsoft Account password to sign in as many people do you may be able to reset it here.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
          If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi

I have not had my Microsoft account synced with my laptop so that's not an option unfortunately....

HP Recommended

On the sign on window you should see a "sign-in options" link that will allow you to try a Password, PIN or Fingerprint. Since you say you did not set up a password try choosing the Password or PIN option and leaving the Password/PIN field blank. What error or message do you get after three failed attempts? 

HP Recommended

I didn't really get an error message....it just said that i'd been locked out after attempting to swipe my finger too many times.   

I don't see any sign in options... all I see is a blue Windows 10 background and a white bar (with an arrow at the end)into which it tells me to enter the password....I see nothing else underneath (no options like the ones you listed).

Apart from this there are the usual network and internet, ease of access and power on icons on the right hand bottom. 

I tried doing a system recovery but it needs a password for that too....

HP Recommended

Is there an email address showing above the white bar? If so you are using a 'Microsoft Account' log in.

What text is inside the white password bar? Does it say 'PIN' or "Password".

Part of setting up a fingerprint reader with Windows 10 is setting a PIN.

If you are using a fingerprint reader you should not have a white bar at all you should just see text prompting you to scan your finger.

Here's an example...

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

It appears that the Windows 10 upgrade borked your system.   :HalfEyes:

My suggestions....

If you have any Microsoft accounts such as Hotmail, Outlook, Xbox, OneDrive, etc., I suggest you try that password in the password field. Just in case it is in fact looking for a Microsoft Account password.

You can try a Reset via Advanced StartUp Options.

While on the Sign In screen hold down the Shift key while choosing Restart from the onscreen power button.

Capture1.JPG

On reboot you should be presented with the Advanced Start Up Options

Choose 'Troubleshoot' then 'Reset This PC'

Capture2.JPG

You can order Recovery Media from HP  or from a third party vendor to reinstall the original version of Windows.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
          If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.